PDA

View Full Version : Threadfins and Bosies

J Pribb
12-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Are threadfin rainbows hearty enough to be in a 55 gallon with 5 other bosemani?

Any known problems with threadfins, such as neon tetra-like die off rates. One of the store clerks mentioned that they were quite fragile fish. Ive read up on them and they seem like they would do well in my tank, but Im just wanting a second opinion.

Thanks for any advice.

AquaLene
12-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi,

I have not kept Threadfins myself so cannot vouch for their fragility/sensitivity, I read they are very peaceful & timid.
I can however vouch for boesemani's - they are also very peaceful toward all other tank mates. I would imagine if their water parameters/needs are similar, it should be ok between the threadfins and the boesemani's (my boesemani's were in with small Celebes Rainbows (Marosatherina ladigesi) & neon's, and didn't bother them at all. I would only be concerned about the threadfins' timid nature when it comes to feeding (boesemani's are piggie's - to say the least) and the threadfins may struggle to get food unless you feed excessively which would result in you having to do more frequent water changes.

Depending on the size of your Angel and CAE's (Chinese Algae Eaters I take it?) there may be a problem - if the Threadfins you are planning on getting are still small/young, the Angel (if it is quite large) is likely to have a go at any new small fish.
I was recently warned on another forum that CAE's will eat more than algae when they get larger and can become a big problem in tanks (not good news for me, I have one in each of my two bigger tanks!! eeek)

Sorry I cannot offer more advice, but hope this helps a little :ssmile:

Perhaps email Adrian Tappin (a rainbowfish guru, google him) who would more than likely be able to offer you more concrete advice.

J Pribb
12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. I decided against getting them because of bioload issues. I did however find what I hope is a single female bosie, lol, who new it would be so hard to find a female.

The Jeff
12-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Temperment wise, you would be ok. The problem would feeding them. Threadfins have very narrow throats, finding a suitable food for them that won't be hogged by your other fish would a big issue.

AquaLene
12-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I decided against getting them because of bioload issues. I did however find what I hope is a single female bosie, lol, who new it would be so hard to find a female.

Glad you (hopefully) found one! thumbs2:
Funnily enough when I see them in LFS's here (which is not often) they are normally around 60% males and 40% females, so no problem finding females. How big is she?
Normally even at a smallish size (around 3.5 to 4cm long) you can ID the sexes by the dorsal fins. The males two dorsal fins overlap and the females don't. So if she is around that size and you see a gap betw. 1st and 2nd dorsal fin, and no bright colours if she has been in your tank a few days, it should be a lady! :ssmile: Best of luck with your bow's!

J Pribb
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
There is definate dorsal seperation,, and she is a mild yellowish greenish color. She also has a slightly different body shape,, so much so that I questioned if she was a bosie,, but she schools very close to the big males.

I will try to get a photo soon.