PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 10 gallon tank after it is cycled

Bellie816
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I am thinking about what to stock in my 10 gallon tank after it is fully cycled. I am thinking approximately 4 of the assorted guppies. What else can I add before my tank is too full? I like the different kinds of tetras, but I have been researching and a lot of what I have read says they are nippers and will nip the guppies tails. What other types would be good? I would like a bottom feeder also such as a corydora or something similar...but I cannot find the dwarf or pygmy version of these at any of the local stores...is there another type suitable? If so, how many can I add? Also looking at shrimp or another type of bottom dweller if no corydora is suitable. Any fish stocking ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Lab_Rat
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
If you cannot locate pygmy cories, then unfortunately you will have to forgo them. 10g is really too small for any of the other species. You could do an all guppy tank, or you could do a couple guppies with 6 neons, or have a dwarf gourami centerpiece with the guppies.

wynnEZ
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I would do a Gourami and tetras, that pretty much the setup I have now and it is working out really nice.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
All guppies, all neons or a few of each is all I'd have in it.

mac
12-09-2009, 06:19 AM
For me I would go with more Tetras and Pygmy Corys if you could find them.

As for the Guppies just remember these breed like flies and will over populate the tank if kept in male female.

As for Guppies and Tetras I keep them with 5 types of very nippy standard tetras from Cochue Blue Tetras to Neons Black Neon Tetras Congo Tetras And Pretty Tetras. And never get any problems.

mac

xximanoobxx
12-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I would put in 10-20 boraras species if it's going to be planted.

Bellie816
12-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Well I was thinking 4 guppies, 2 dwarf gouramis (at the store they have powder blue or flame) and possibly a bottom feeder. Are the male gouramis aggressive toward each other or other fish? The tank specifies that the dwarfs are males. They also have listed a paleatus corydora catfish...but does not say if it is a pygmy or anything. Does anyone know what size they can get to?

Would you say that this is the max stocking for my 10 gallon? I read the sticky about fish stocking which said that it doesn't always matter how many fish you have in a certain size tank, but how well you take care of it. I am definitely going to be one to keep up on water testing and as frequent water changes as needed to keep fish healthy. I have a decent filter and also an air stone to help with oxygen.

Lab_Rat
12-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Well I was thinking 4 guppies, 2 dwarf gouramis (at the store they have powder blue or flame) and possibly a bottom feeder. Are the male gouramis aggressive toward each other or other fish? The tank specifies that the dwarfs are males. They also have listed a paleatus corydora catfish...but does not say if it is a pygmy or anything. Does anyone know what size they can get to?

Would you say that this is the max stocking for my 10 gallon? I read the sticky about fish stocking which said that it doesn't always matter how many fish you have in a certain size tank, but how well you take care of it. I am definitely going to be one to keep up on water testing and as frequent water changes as needed to keep fish healthy. I have a decent filter and also an air stone to help with oxygen.

4 guppies plus a single dwarf gourami would be good. It would not be a good idea to get two dwarf gouramis in such a small tank as they are likely to fight (territorial). The paleatus will get too big and needs to be kept in schools of 6+ so that would be a no go in a 10g tank. You could add some ghost shrimp if you wanted, though they may get eaten by the gourami.

Bellie816
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Okay thanks! So this might be a stupid question...but the single dwarf male gourami would not get lonely being the only one? lol I just want to make sure he will school together with the guppies or at least not be lonely :)

rich311k
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
If you like guppys, get guppys, a nice group would do fine and are active enough to fill the tank. Put in a few plants and a nice black background and dark substrate and the tank will pop.

Lab_Rat
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Okay thanks! So this might be a stupid question...but the single dwarf male gourami would not get lonely being the only one? lol I just want to make sure he will school together with the guppies or at least not be lonely :)

He's not going to be lonely without another gourami. I have a lone gourami in my 29g.