PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question

Memenock
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I am thinking about getting some new fish for my tank, and I wanted to make sure that I won't be overstocking.

I have a 30g tank with 4 panda corys (I started with 8 and several have died over the past several months; I plan to get more), 12 harlequin rasbora, and 1 angel fish. (I must disclose that my angel is my favorite part of my tank, haha)

Now I have the opportunity to get a pair of German Blue Rams (or Electric Blue Rams) and Bronze corys.

I have several options. I can just build up my stock of panda corys and leave my tank as is. Or I can get 6 of each kind of cory. I can get the GBRs and either put them in the main tank or put them in a dedicated 10g tank.

So my questions are:
1. With my current tank, would I be overstocking it to add a pair of GBRs and have a total of 12 corys, 12 rasbora, and 1 angel?
2. Will the GBRs and the Angel be compatible in the same tank?

Thank you very much for your help!

Red
12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't do the GBR and the angel in the tank. I think its pushing it with the stocking level where its at. I would just bump up the schools.

If you want a pair of rams, the ten gallon would be great, I would add a school of neons to the tank as a dither because it calms the rams down and would make them want to get in the mood to breed.

Memenock
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Thank you for the quick message! I appreciate the help!

Lab_Rat
12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
I agree with what Red said. Make sure you're willing to devote the maintenance to the tank that GBR require as they need pristine water and a mature tank to do best.