PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for final stocking

wlepse
12-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Right now we have a 37g tank with 4 balloon mollys, 2 platys (one fry) and a danio. I was planning on adding a few corys to do some clean-up and was thinking of red cherry shrimp but it seems these won't do well with a lot of larger fish. Tank is fully cycled and pH was around 8.4 but I recently added driftwood and the pH has dropped but I don't know exactly what it is. The high pH test color doesn't match any of the colors on the card but is probably between 8 and 7.8. Using the low pH test it looks like a 7.6 maybe a little darker blue. We do have hard water but I don't know how hard and I would prefer not to have to get into an RO system.

So we would love to have discus but based on our tank size and water I don't think this would be a wise decision for us. But we would like to have either a similarly large showy fish or a pair of very colorful fish. I was using aqadvisor to get some ideas but I think the list of species may be missing a few of interest. After the discus we had discussed an angel which seems like a good option but I am concerned about tank size a little and tank current. Obviously they wouldn't be compatible with the shrimp. Other fish we are interested in are GBR's, badis badis and killi fish. Are there any other options we should consider?

sheamurai
12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
you might want to look at some pics of dwarf gouramis - lots of colour morphs and mostly peaceful...

annageckos
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I think your tank is too small for discus and angles. GBR are fairly delicate fish who need soft, acidic water. Badis badis I am not sure about. Some of the killies should work out in your tank, just make sure you research and ask questions before you get any. As far as your PH. It is more important to have Stable ph. Most fish can abapt to a slitly higher ph, as long as it is stable. Hardness is very important too. You should up the number of danios as they are a schooling fish.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure on the future stocking, but the GBR's, I'm pretty sure, need a lower pH. I'd love to have some myself, but was not willing to go through hoops to lower the pH of our water.

Would you want to consider adding more danios? They are happier with companions.

I'd echo the dwarf gourami recommendation. They are very cool and personable fish!!!

wlepse
12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I do want to add some more danios but the last few times I have been to the LFS they either had really red gills or sunken stomachs. Waiting till I find a healthy batch. As it is I am having some trouble with one molly right now so I am hesitant to add more inhabitants until I know my current tank is healthy.

brianyu
12-14-2009, 12:04 AM
maye 1 angel will work. i read that people do try 1 discus and some school fish.