PDA

View Full Version : About Transcriptus

rhonin
12-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Was at my LFS today and they had a new batch of black/yellow Transcriptus.

They look really neat!
I held off getting any (I have an almost empty 39g bowfront) as the folks there said they are not good in a large lake tank (final destination - 100g) if you plan on having breeders in the tank.

Would these be good in a 39g by themselves (plus a couple scavenging types)?

As my 100g lake tank is ending up all blacksand plus plants/rocks these would look great in it but would they be detrimental to the breeding calvus I plan on?

Thx!!
:22:

Red
12-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah they would be fine in the 39, make sure to have a lot of work work etc.

rhonin
12-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah they would be fine in the 39, make sure to have a lot of work work etc.

By "work work" I suspect you mean a lot of caves/holes etc.....?

:22:

Red
12-07-2009, 03:44 AM
Holy cow, thats terrible. I most have been talking to someone about work or something, yes I meant rock work. Sorry. "sev shakes his head and needs to go to bed"

rhonin
12-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Yep, had a 'few" of those!
thumbs2:
Thx!!

toddnbecka
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Black/yellow transcriptus would be the Gombe variant, actually the most aggressive member of the clan. They have been reclassified, but are still often called transcriptus. Black/white transcriptus are a bit smaller. and the most mellow of the Julie complex. I tried growing out a group of 4 Gombe's in a 55, and ended up with a single survivor. I had the same result with another group of 6 in a 29. Ironically, I did end up with one of each sex, and when the second one was moved into the 55 they paired up and spawned.
In any case, they won't be any problem for breeding calvus. More likely the calvus may pick off some Julie fry, but most will likely survive. The parents are quite protective, and the fry stay close to rocks/cover.