PDA

View Full Version : Beginner with cichlid questions

willisrad
04-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Ok.
I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that I have pretty soft water.

I think that I am leaning towards a cichlid tank........welll........almost positive. And it's going to be a 75 Gallon tank.

I want a lot of really colorful ones.

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to also have a small eel in the same tank, or if that's just a bad idea.

Thanks!

I went to the LFS and I saw a lot of really pretty yellow, orange, and blue ones.
I didn't actually talk to the guy that worked there, but from doing a little bit of research online, and I am interested in either getting mbunas chichlids, or peacocks, but I know not to get both.

Also, I've read conflicting information as far as the mbunas are concerned. I've read to get a lot (15) or so, and that will keep one from turning into the dominant and cruel one, and I've also read to have very few, and make sure they have plenty of space.

Here is a link to what I've been looking at online, but I probably plan on buying from the LFS honestly

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...able.htm#mbuna

Are either one of these a bad idea?

Thanks for all the help!

Drumachine09
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Ok.
I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure that I have pretty soft water.

I think that I am leaning towards a cichlid tank........welll........almost positive. And it's going to be a 75 Gallon tank.

I want a lot of really colorful ones.

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to also have a small eel in the same tank, or if that's just a bad idea.

Thanks!

I went to the LFS and I saw a lot of really pretty yellow, orange, and blue ones.
I didn't actually talk to the guy that worked there, but from doing a little bit of research online, and I am interested in either getting mbunas chichlids, or peacocks, but I know not to get both.

Also, I've read conflicting information as far as the mbunas are concerned. I've read to get a lot (15) or so, and that will keep one from turning into the dominant and cruel one, and I've also read to have very few, and make sure they have plenty of space.

Here is a link to what I've been looking at online, but I probably plan on buying from the LFS honestly

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...able.htm#mbuna

Are either one of these a bad idea?

Thanks for all the help!

The link doesnt work.

cocoa_pleco
04-18-2007, 12:21 AM
it says the webpage is not available at this time

willisrad
04-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Ok
Here is the link:
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cichlids_african/african_cichlids_table.htm#top2

Even some of these seem interesting, but I am not quite sure about oscars as they get to be so HUGE:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cichlids_neotropical/cichlids_neotropical_table.htm#top2

cocoa_pleco
04-18-2007, 12:34 AM
as a general Mbuna statement, some of them are hot heads and violent. My auratus is not showing any aggression now, but as a adult he will kill almost anything he can see.

If you want more peaceful things that can live with other fish such as loaches and eels, consider kribs and rams.

Im also getting a blood parrot soon. You can stick 3 in a 75g with a fire eels possibly

willisrad
04-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I know that this is a little off topic, but what about puffers?
They seem to be very interesting little fish.......

willisrad
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
^ Yeah, nevermind. I did a little research.
I was prepared to deal with their aggressiveness..........but not how picky they are when it comes to food.....

cocoa_pleco
04-18-2007, 09:35 PM
puffers arent too picky, at least my dwarf ones werent. You just have to have a species tank for puffers. They eat flakes, bloodworm, etc.

willisrad
04-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Hrrrm......
I was looking at getting a figure 8 puffer.

It'd be for my 75 Gallon tank that I am getting, and I'd probably be doing a fishless cycle.

What kind of fish would go with them and not go crazy?

I read a few places online that they won't really do flake food, and they want live black worms, snails, ghost shrimp, etc....

jessie
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I can't comment on the puffers, but I can tell you more about mbuna cichlids if you are interested in these guys. If you go this route, you can only put these guys with other mbunas (maybe a syndodontis for a scavenger). You can get a great color variety with these cichlids. You do need to stock them in groups so one solo fish does't get picked on. Yes, I would recommend overstocking the tank so that the aggression is spread out more and one fish cannot establish too big of a territory. Start by adding the least aggressive fish first. I would buy a test kit so you can check if your water is hard or soft and your pH. They do better in a pH close to the 8 range and harder water. You can accomplish this by using cichlid salts specifically made for these guys (I make my own using a combo of aquarium salt, baking soda, and Epsom salts). Keeps the pH right around 8.4. If you are wanting softer water cichlids, you can look at some of the South American species.

willisrad
04-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Hahahah,
Well, I know that I've been all over the board with what I am going to do, but I think that I am just going to end up getting a saltwater tank that I was looking at around a month ago or so.

It's just too good of a deal for everything that I am getting, and the more I thought about it, I don't really have another $500+ dollars to spend in getting this 75 Gallon tank setup.

So, I sold the 75 Gallon on craigslist, and went over and checked out the saltwater tank. Now I just have to figure out how to transport the darn thing.