PDA

View Full Version : Heat warping rocks?

Maggot
12-06-2009, 02:05 AM
I had bought some clear rocks for my fiddler tank. They were large and there was a total of...6 or 7. Well I cleaned the tank today and realized something was wrong with them. They weren't as smooth as they were when I first bought them, there were actually small dents and it looked like the surface was a little warped. Is it possible the heater in their tank is doing this, or do the crabs scratch them? I am a bit worried about it since I don't want weird chemicals leaking out of them or something weird like that. D:

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Can you show some pics of the rocks?
They should not be changing shape at all.
Where did you get them?
How long have they been in there?I don't thinnk they woukld be staying in my tanks for long.
How hot is your tank?

rich311k
12-06-2009, 02:48 AM
What is a clear rock?

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Sounds like a plastic to me.

Maggot
12-06-2009, 02:56 AM
I probably should have saved them but I tossed them since they were only a buck >< My apologies, but I will describe this best I can:

There were about an inch and a half long and an inch high. Just clear rocks. They came in a mesh bag at petsmart, and when I bought them they were smooth all around. It wasn't their shape that was changing but rather the surface. When I picked them up today it felt like they had been scratched. Like if you take a knife(or something sharp) and try to cut a rock there's that small indent left. So a few rocks had that. Another looked wrinkly if that makes sense. I have no clue how that happened though. They've been in there for...a month or so.

Their tank only gets to be 80degrees at most, and I monitor it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't get over that. The heater is flat and is buried underneath the sand.

EDIT: Yes, I believe they were a type of plastic as northernguy suggested. I didn't think they'd end up horrible like that, though. D:

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 02:58 AM
They must have been some kind of plastic.Were they directly over the heater.
They were probably melting.

Maggot
12-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Ok, I took them out of the trash (no not that gross since it was just crab cleaning supply dirty towel stuff) and my camera cannot handle something so close.

No, they were not on the heater at all but in the corners of the tank. But if it they were melting regardless, not good. D:

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Have you got a macro setting on your camera?
Thats great for close ups!

Maggot
12-06-2009, 03:16 AM
I am trying to change the settings on my camera as we speak. The problem is I don't know if I can get the detail of the scratches / wrinkling. :\

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Thats ok! I'll take your word for it!lol:22:
Some things are just real hard to get a decent pic of!

Maggot
12-06-2009, 03:24 AM
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/jokerette_demonette/DSCF1414.jpg

Those are the rocks. I can't get any closer without it blurring. I've tried on many different occasions to get the 'upclose' pictures to turn out clear, but it's never worked. :\ I've read the manual a gazillion times.

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 03:29 AM
It looks like an acrylic!I don't think I would use either.
No idea what happened to them.

Maggot
12-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Neither do I. At first I thought maybe the craps were scratching at them or something, which is why I asked. But regardless, they are no longer in the tank.

Is acrylic rock decor harmful to fish / crabs?

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Nope! Not that i have ever heard.
It may have been the crab scratching it up.

Maggot
12-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Alright. Well thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

Northernguy
12-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Anytime!:22: