PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp

Abbeys_Mom
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I got a new Cherry Shrimp today to replace my Rock Shrimp. I went in to the FS and they had put the Cherries in with angel fish. Out of 90 they had about half a dozen left. "Bob" the fish guy could only catch one, so he gave it to me for free. They are getting more next month and I will be getting 3 more when they come in. He/She is really cute, but really small. I think he might get eaten by the betta, but you never know. I got a pic, it's a bit blurry.

Drumachine09
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I got a new Cherry Shrimp today to replace my Rock Shrimp. I went in to the FS and they had put the Cherries in with angel fish. Out of 90 they had about half a dozen left. "Bob" the fish guy could only catch one, so he gave it to me for free. They are getting more next month and I will be getting 3 more when they come in. He/She is really cute, but really small. I think he might get eaten by the betta, but you never know. I got a pic, it's a bit blurry.

You took an awesome picture! What, no seasonal alteration to the one in your avatar? lol

Chrona
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Cool! Btw, how much is the LFS charging? Members of other forums sell RCS for like 16 bucks for 10 shipped with a DOA guarentee.

Abbeys_Mom
04-17-2007, 11:29 PM
They are charging $3.88 each, same for Amano shrimp. I think it is a bit high, but they are neat and I can't find them anywhere else (locally).

Rue
04-17-2007, 11:44 PM
I think our LFS is getting some Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp...supposedly $10 each...

LOL...I just looked them up and the recommendations are 2/ gallon...

I am NOT spending $50 on shrimp!

Drumachine09
04-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I think our LFS is getting some Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp...supposedly $10 each...

I wouldnt either, that is, unless it came with cocktail sauce!

Chrona
04-18-2007, 12:38 AM

That's the maximum recommended amount. It makes no different to the shrimp is they are by themselves in a 10g tank or something as long as there are no predators.

Abbeys_Mom
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I give up. The darn shrimp is M.I.A. I emptied the tank contents this morning, no shrimp. He was there over the week-end. There is only a betta in the tank and I know he couldn't have gotten out, the lid is completely enclosed and taped down. I checked the table and floor around the tank just to be sure. The funny thing is that there is no body.

wijnands
05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Either the betta is the culprit or you haven't looked close enough. These small shrimps are excellent at hiding.

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
They certainly are good at hiding! I didn't see my ghost shrimp for seeral weeks because he molted.
Or maybe the shrimp you bought is a master magician, and just did a 'dissappearing" act.

RobbieG
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Check inside the filter (if you have a HOB). Some of those rascals can REALLY climb!

Abbeys_Mom
05-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I have a sponge filter (which I checked inside of). I taped the lid around the air hose. I took everything out of the tank (including the betta) and had a good look, unless he is IN the substrate, he's gone. I checked as much of the floor as I could, but I learned my lesson when my $8 rock shrimp got out of the tank. I really can't see how he could have gotten out. So I guess the betta got him. The question now is, should I bother buying more?

kimmers318
05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Not unless you want a tasty treat for your betta! This is why shrimp fanatics don't recommend dwarf shrimp with most fish, because they become tasty snacks. I seem to have mostly shrimp hating fish though as I have ghost shrimp that are living healthy lives in tanks with most fish and puffers!
Sounds like another tank is in order.....set up a 10 gal, get a couple of cherries and wait until they breed and fill it up for you!

Abbeys_Mom
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I have half a dozen tanks sitting dry, but I can't set them up. I had a hard enough time convincing my husband to let me setup my 27g again instead of my 10g. I could move the betta back into his .5g tank, but I had taking away the freedom he has.

Shrimper
05-10-2007, 06:15 AM
I was going to by some S grade Crystal red shrimps the other day for $55 a piece! :)
Thats with shipping.
A little too sensitive for me to risk that much money at present though.
Seems like alot but once you get bitten by the shrimp bug you will understand.

For fw planted non peacfull tanks I would defenitly recommend you guys try the red cherry shrimp.
You will notice a huge difference in the apperance of the tanks in a short time.
Extremely hard workers at keeping tanks clean, easy to keep, and very colorfull. They eat just about every thing but dont harm plants, fry, or eggs.
I dont boast when I say that without them in a planted tank you are definetly missing out.
Pleco sales in the hobby are definetly going down.
Sorry for the rant but I love shrimp!!! :thumb:

hungryhound
05-10-2007, 01:02 PM
I was going to by some S grade Crystal red shrimps the other day for $55 a piece! :)
Thats with shipping.
A little too sensitive for me to risk that much money at present though.
Seems like alot but once you get bitten by the shrimp bug you will understand.

For fw planted non peacfull tanks I would defenitly recommend you guys try the red cherry shrimp.
You will notice a huge difference in the apperance of the tanks in a short time.
Extremely hard workers at keeping tanks clean, easy to keep, and very colorfull. They eat just about every thing but dont harm plants, fry, or eggs.
I dont boast when I say that without them in a planted tank you are definetly missing out.
Pleco sales in the hobby are definetly going down.
Sorry for the rant but I love shrimp!!! :thumb:

For CRS shrimp check out the planted tank. You can normally find them for a much better price. Like 5 to 7 dollars a piece for A and S grade. You will have to register to view the swap and shop, but the prices are worth it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Chrona
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
For CRS shrimp check out the planted tank. You can normally find them for a much better price. Like 5 to 7 dollars a piece for A and S grade. You will have to register to view the swap and shop, but the prices are worth it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Beat me to it :) kangshiang over there supposedly has the best prices/stock. 10 S grade for 125, 10 S+ grade for 250.

(Are they paying you yet?)

hungryhound
05-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Beat me to it :) kangshiang over there supposedly has the best prices/stock. 10 S grade for 125, 10 S+ grade for 250.

(Are they paying you yet?)

I guess the 5 to 7 was on the grade As I saw a few weeks ago.

They are not paying me, but I wouldn't mind a free shrimp from time to time.

Chrona
05-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I guess the 5 to 7 was on the grade As I saw a few weeks ago.

They are not paying me, but I wouldn't mind a free shrimp from time to time.

I know, was just teasing :)