PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf rainbows not schooling?

AmyLynn
12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I just brought home a school of 6 rainbows and although they somewhat schooled at first they are not schooling at all now. Am I going to see them school in the 55 gallon? Do I need more? Can I fit more with my current stocking shown in my sig?

Also, I ended up with one male to 5 females. Is this a good ratio?

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Many fish only school when stressed out or new to a tank. Once relaxed, they explore by themselves. I don't know what else is in the tank but I like big schools when I go with schools. 6 is the very minimium. Schools of 15-20 are nicer.

AmyLynn
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I almost got 10 of the little guys. I'm just afraid that by the time they reach full size they'll overtake my tank. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Stocking list is in my sig.

mac
12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
If it is the 55g they are in, you would have more chances of the Up side Downs out growing your tank.

The Dwarf I have never been able to get past 2 inches long, and that is 4 years old.

I see no problems with a few more. A school of 3 males and 6 females would be fine.

mac

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 01:27 AM
You're the first person to ever say that my upside downs would outgrow my tank. I know max size on them is 4 inches, although mine are approaching 2 years old now and from the brief glances I get of them on occasion I don't think either is even a full 2 inches.

I'm planning on another trip to that store the Sunday after Christmas if we don't get headed out of Denver too late. Maybe I'll pick up a few more. Cute little guys anyways.

Cristoff
12-06-2009, 01:36 AM
My rainbows do not school either. If they have no stress, they will spread out. It's actually a nice indicator of the stress level in the tank.

You will usually see more schooling action during water changes and fast movements around the tank.

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Evidently my tanks are far too quiet. I've never had a schooling fish that actually schooled. lol

Cristoff
12-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Evidently my tanks are far too quiet. I've never had a schooling fish that actually schooled. lol

In my humble opinion, that simply meens that you are doing the right thing. thumbs2:

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm not going to argue, but thanks for saying it. :ssmile:

rhonin
12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
You're the first person to ever say that my upside downs would outgrow my tank. I know max size on them is 4 inches, although mine are approaching 2 years old now and from the brief glances I get of them on occasion I don't think either is even a full 2 inches.

I have three upside down cats, they all started at <1".
In my 60, it is 5" and still growing.
In my 30, both are at 3" and still going.
Folks at my LFS say they frequently get to 6" sometimes a bit over depending on the strain.....

Here is a pic taken a few weeks back next to my wild calvus; he is just short of 4" (the calvus).

The cats are pretty cool - thumbs2:

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 02:41 AM
I have three upside down cats, they all started at <1".
In my 60, it is 5" and still growing.
In my 30, both are at 3" and still going.
Folks at my LFS say they frequently get to 6" sometimes a bit over depending on the strain.....

Here is a pic taken a few weeks back next to my wild calvus; he is just short of 4" (the calvus).

The cats are pretty cool - thumbs2:

My upside down cats don't look anything like that. They look like a paler version of these (http://fishindex.blogspot.com/2009/08/upside-down-catfish-synodontis.html)

rhonin
12-06-2009, 03:25 AM
My upside down cats don't look anything like that. They look like a paler version of these (http://fishindex.blogspot.com/2009/08/upside-down-catfish-synodontis.html)

Looks like yours is a Synodontis nigriventris.
And you are correct - about 4"
Also looks like I gave you a pick of my Synodontis eupterus - featherfin.
Sorry. It's what I get for trying to work on several things at once and watch the Texas/Nebraska game....

Mine are the eupterus - these get around 6".
(blush)

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Looks like yours is a Synodontis nigriventris.
And you are correct - about 4"
Also looks like I gave you a pick of my Synodontis eupterus - featherfin.
Sorry. It's what I get for trying to work on several things at once and watch the Texas/Nebraska game....

Mine are the eupterus - these get around 6".
(blush)

I was thinking that looked like a featherfin, but I don't know them well enough to tell. Beautiful cat though. :hmm3grin2orange:

mac
12-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Sorry should have clarified. It is not size, but Bio load and the fact they need larger numbers to be happy. That is how they will out grow your tank in needs.

Mind you some of these up-side downs I have seen very large 10in. But different species. Dont know what type either.

mac

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2009, 05:36 AM
I have the Synodontis Eruptus and both are 3 years old and probably 5 1/2" long. They don't appear to be growing in length as much as girth now. I have two in my 55 gallon and wouldn't want more than that.

AmyLynn
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I have the Synodontis Eruptus and both are 3 years old and probably 5 1/2" long. They don't appear to be growing in length as much as girth now. I have two in my 55 gallon and wouldn't want more than that.

I was eyeballing a couple of the featherfins at the store I just bough from. Beautiful cats, but I think they'll be waiting until I get a bigger tank someday. And that won't happen until I get a bigger house. lol I think the little guys I have are plenty big enough for my current tank.