PDA

View Full Version : Little White Dots on Oranda's Head (what?)

Deleted User
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi, Everyone --

One of our oranda goldfish has little white dots on his head, but nowhere else. If the dots were on his fins or body, I might think they were ick... and maybe it is ick? I don't know. It looks a little "fluffy" to be ick but the dots are small like ick would be.

I'm treating the tank for ick, but feel like this is a fungus. I've been catching him up in a net, wiping it off (it wipes off) and treating with a cotton ball that has Pimafix on it. It's not coming back quickly now. It was "growing" back fast when I was simply wiping it off but not treating with Pimafix on a cotton ball.

Because I am treating the tank for ick (just in case it is ick), I do not want to treat the entire tank with Pimafix until the ick treatment has concluded.

Any insight as to what this might be? Seems to only be effecting one goldfish, and only on his head.

Thanks,
Jill

PS anyone who thinks fish don't learn.... this guy really tries to get away from the net now where at first he was effortless to catch! Poor thing http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/sad.gif

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Fungus looks much different than Ick. One of my parrots kept getting returning fungus patches on her head, they'd go away only to return a couple weeks later. She ended up with a dent in her head, actually, and I kinda figured it was HITH. Those patches of white would return in exactly the same spot each time, around the eye and head, so I could think of nothing else that was the cause.

He was the one that died and if one had to go, glad he was the one and the healthy one didn't.

gabbyguppy
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Could it be breeding tubercles?

When you see the dots, it means the male is sexually mature and 'ready to breed'.

I'll try to find a photo link.

Karen

Deleted User
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm...

These look like ick spots in size and they are not a "film" as I've seen some fungus pictured to be. These are distinct white dots, but only on his head.

I don't think they are breeding tubercles, because they are on his head not on his gills. If they are, man he must but miffed I keep "wiping off" the evidence of how sexy he's feeling LOL!

Northernguy
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I would have a chat with either Fishguy or Dave66.
They may have a better idea as to what you are dealing with.
Try sending them a PM.

Rue
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Could it be breeding tubercles?

When you see the dots, it means the male is sexually mature and 'ready to breed'.

I'll try to find a photo link.

Karen

That was my first guess too...my second is to do with growth of the wen in Orandas...but I need to check that again...

VoidParadigm
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
At first to me it sounded just like breeding spots/rash/tubercles/etc. However I've never seen them fall off, much less be able to just be wiped away by a cotton swab.
Agree with NG. Try pm-ing someone who could have more insight into this, as they could miss this thread completely.

As for the fish never learn bit, it's so, so, false, I've noticed as well. =D Unfortunately yours and my fish seem to be opposite in nature, Jill, haha. My breeding pair of goldies swim eagerly into my hand when I enter it into the tank, and my spare breeding male (in case the first male can't produce enough sperm at one time, yada, yada) actually chases the net around!

Rue
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
...wen growth can include small white bumps or spots...still trying to find 'official' info though...