PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

dragoonwoman
12-04-2009, 04:44 PM
My lone adult female shrimp was VERY saddled up until a couple days ago. She was acting almost frantic, swimming around the tank in an restless, agitated fashion. Then she disappeared.

Today I see her BERRIED, but the eggs are RED not yellow, which I would have expected from the pictures I've seen (including Sarkazmo's recently posted ones).

My question is: Would she lay and carry the eggs WITHOUT a male to mate with?? She is the ONLY adult I have right now, at least I think so. I did see one last night that seemed of near adult size, but I can't tell if it's male or female.

I would LOVE to see babies!! Or am I just getting my hopes up, to have them dashed?

(Yes, I have the filter intake covered with a sponge, so they won't get sucked in.)

Algenco
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
she wouldn't produce eggs without being bred.
Color varies quite a lot.

Good luckthumbs2:

dragoonwoman
12-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Then I will hope for BABIES soon!! The other near-adult size one I saw must be male. Actually, he may be full-grown; the males are smaller than the females, aren't they?

Thanks very much!

(Can you tell I'm a total noob at shrimp? Other than scampi, that is! LOL)

oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!! :19: :19: :19:

VoidParadigm
12-04-2009, 11:11 PM
The vast majority of female animals/creatures/fish/humans/etc produce eggs, regardless of whether they are trying/want to mate or not. They're either simply unfertilized eggs that she'll dispose herself of soon, or you actually have a male in with her.