PDA

View Full Version : Stocking

labnjab
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm looking for some suggestions on 1 or 2 addition fish to stock our 75 gallon with once its running. The fish that are going to be in it are 2 0-clowns, a falco hawkfish, a yellow watchman goby, bangai cardinal and firefish goby. We also plan on adding a yellow corris wrasse or 6 line wrasse for our flatworm problem that I'm sure will transfer over. Were looking for a centerpiece fish, something a little bigger then the others. The YWG and Firefish will spend most of the time hiding

I was thinking a foxface rabbitfish, but wasn't sure if a 75 was large enough. If not the rabbitfish, what other fish would be compatiable in a 75. Thank you for any suggestions

Miltonic
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I think a rabbitfish maybe a little too big for a 75g since they seem to be very a active fish. I think a wrasse would be a good addition to your stocking or you could maybe a give a dwarf angelfish a try. Im not sure what other fish maybe get some more bangaii cardinals?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Depends on what Foxface you get. Siganus unimaculatus tends to stay slightly smaller than the rest of the Siganids and IMO wouldn't be a bad choice for a 75. Something else you may want to consider would be a Yellow Eye Kole Tang. They are the smallest of the tangs and would look nice in there. I will add this one thing though, even though all the fish you have planned stay relatively small, I have learned that less is more with reef tanks. Personally, I wouldn't add anything else to that tank.

labnjab
12-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Thank you milt and SW addict. Siganus unimaculatus is actually the one we were interested in. Several people locally have them or have had them and like them a lot. We'd love a Dwarf angel but don't want to take the chance on them nipping on any coral. We want to add just one bigger fish because half the fish we have now spend most of the day hiding so you look at the tanks and they look empty.

The wrasse is going to be added to consume the flatworms that I'm pretty sure will transfer over. I don't want to try any chemical methods. If it wasn't for that we'd do without it and I know it will be impossible to get him out once there gone so its gonna stay

I guess before we actually add anything were going to make sure everyone we have gets along once we merge the tanks together and if and when we do add another fish it will be about a month after.

Thank you again for the input and suggestions. We'd have the tank running today if our sand came in like it should have:spam: I'm hoping early, early next week

MCHRKiller
12-06-2009, 07:19 AM
After the last 2 weeks with my Tribal Blenny, I would definatly say no reef is complete without one. Theyll do a number on algae and are extremely personable fish and very active. :22:

UnknownFish
12-19-2009, 04:14 AM
How about a blue dot jawfish, they become very personable and are cute lil fish with great colors. I have 2 of them in my 75 gallon and they get along great, starting to think they may be a pair as they are always in the same burrows or in another burrow real close. I know you said that you didnt want to do a pygmy angel but I also have a flame angel and a lemonpeel angel in the 75 also and they are both stunning fish that get along like they are a mated pair, always with one another, and they havent nipped any corals as of yet I just make sure I keep them happy, I also have a yellow eye kole tang and it is a great fish, I rescued a blue hippo tang from another persons tank, and I also have a cleaner and a six line wrasse that are beautiful and neat fish, the cleaner wrasse always comes up to my hands and cleans them whenever I put my hands in the tank. Hope some of this info helps, good luck on your choices.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Can't say I'd agree with the idea of the cleaner wrasse. These fish are pretty much obligate parasite feeders. Very very few will ever take frozen or prepared foods. Most of these fish die in captivity. Also, they really should not be removed from the wild since they play a critical role in the health of the reef. Hope yours continues to do well for you though Unknown, I really wish you the best of luck with him.

UnknownFish
12-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Mine eats cyclopeeze and mysis on a daily basis, and cleaner wrasse's are now being breed in captivity, I am a member of a local aquarium club and at a meeting last month we had guest speaker Tom Lang from The Breeders Registry and he was discussing that they have had very good luck lately with breeding cleaner wrasse's and a few other hard to breed marine fish. I was worried about getting a cleaner wrasse but it was a rescue and I hate to see a fish get neglected and die. I have had the cleaner for about 4 months now and he has grown a good half inch or more.

UnknownFish
12-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Here is a link to the info on The Breeders registry about cleaner wrasse breeding:

http://www.breedersregistry.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:bluestreak-cleaner-wrasse

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

labnjab
12-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you the suggestions and information unknownfish.

We ordered a rabbitfish this afternoon from my LFS. Because of the holiday it won't be in till after christmas but that will give me time to set-up my QT tank. Our YWG and pistol shrimp are missing and our firefish went carpet surfing so the tanks current fish are only 2 o-clowns, a falco hawkfish, and a bangai cardial

We'd like to add a yellow corris wrasse for the flatworms instead of the 6 line, but that will be the very last fish. After we add the rabbit fish we will probably get another YWG.

Then maybe another bangai cardinal. We'll probably get 2 more, let them pair up, and sell the odd man out.

How does this plan sound?