PDA

View Full Version : My Male Betta ate the eggs!

Bella213
12-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

So I totally new to this whole Betta World and mating. I have a 10 gal tank, 1 male and 2 females. They are all swimming freely in the tank because everytime I put one of the females in the breeding tank with the male on the other side of divider, she always jumped out into the bigger part of the tank. Anyway, yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the male and female were copulating where my live plant was in the tank. They would mate, he would get the eggs but he never created a bubble nest and I never saw him try to. This morning, there was nothing. So my conculsion was that he eat the eggs. I pulled the female out of the tank and placed another female who looks like she is ready and all he does is chase her around and try to hurt her. She is almost the same size as him which make me think that he will not mate with her. My question is "Why did he eat the eggs"

Any help is very much apprecaited.

Northernguy
12-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
You should not be adding the female until the nest is built!
Remove her before they start to kill each other.
Please read this.There is more links at the bottom of the page too.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/breeding2.php

Bella213
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Well its a little to late for that because they have already spawned and she is out of the tank. I am just curious to find out why he ate all the eggs instead of creating a bubble nest. From what I have read, some males do not build their nest ahead and build while spawning which is what I thought my male was doing but he didn't. Instead he ate the eggs. And prior to them spawning I fed them bloodworms and brine shrimp to make sure he was not hungry just in case. Very frustrating needless to say. Any answers as to why he ate them all?

Northernguy
12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Many fish will eat their own eggs and even their fry!
Bettas are definatly on that list!
Give them more time.Practice makes perfect.

Deleted User
12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I've never kept female bettas, but my males build bubble nests all the time. I always thought they were being optimistic thumbs2: