PDA

View Full Version : Help: Want to start a new Betta tank

SimplyG
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a 3 gallon AquaView 360 that I will soon be moving my goldfish out of and into their much larger more size appropriate home.

I've decided that I would like to get a Betta or two(not together or anything like that) in a planted tank...

My few questions are this, what kind of filter can I use that would work with a round tank like my aquaview? If there isn't any, thats fine I will get another tank...

Second question is what would you good folks recommend for plants in a planted Betta tank? I was thinking so far I'd like some Java Moss on a small piece of driftwood if they have any moss at my LFS.

Thank you all in advance.

Red
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Well I am glad you are moving your goldfish. The betta will be fine in the three gallon, but would do best in a 5gallon which gives the betta more room and you could decorate with less hassle. And small tank like that experiences drastic temp changes and parameters. I am not sure what they have at your petstore, but most small filtes they have do fine. Java moss would be great in your tank since it doesn't need high light and grows like a weed.

morgangallow
11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
i've also heard bamboo works wonders for betta tanks.

tori.lock
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd stay away from bamboo because it doesn't thrive in an all water environment like people think it does. My betta tank has some anubias that he loves to rest on, and a bit of amazon sword and some crypts and java moss. They love moss, or anything plant with big leaves they can rest on and under. You can look around online for low-care, low-light plants and see which ones you like the look of the best. Pretty much everyone will tell you good beginner choices are Anubias nana, Java Fern and Java moss.

SimplyG
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Thank you all. I decided to buy a 5 gallon tank last night so I don't run into problems finding a filter that would fit.

Do you folks thing the 15w light that comes in the hood would be sufficiant for mid-low light plants?

Rue
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I think you'll be happy with the 5g...

I found the lights to sufficient for low-light plants...and a couple of those will look great and be enough for the betta to feel comfortable...