PDA

View Full Version : Prolific Egg Layer

ssmith
11-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi to all -

I have a 3" fantail goldfish 2+ yrs old in a 4 gal biorb bowl. Starting some 4 months ago she started laying eggs every 2 to 3 weeks making a mess of the bowl. Each time she does this I hope it will be the last time, but she continues to pump out the eggs.

Is there something I can do to stop this (diet or medicine?), or does the fish just have some sort of hormone imbalance?

Thanks

Steve

Red
11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Get a 30gal tank, your fish is stunted and is getting tortured.

Lab_Rat
11-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Hi Steve,

Honestly, the mess she's making is probably of least concern. She really needs a tank at least 20g (bigger would be better), that little 4g tank is not big enough for more than a betta. There could be a hormonal imbalance from stress hormones she's putting off from being so restricted, but it would more likely suppress the breeding behavior. I'm sure you didn't want to hear that she needs a bigger set up but unfortunately she does. Good luck.

Northernguy
11-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Keeping a goldfish in a bowl alive for two yrs is impressive.Not recomended though,sorry! The fact that she is still able to drop eggs is great but it wouldn't be so bad in a filtered tank.
Here is some info about your fish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/

ssmith
11-30-2009, 04:28 AM
I agree that a larger tank would be ideal - but the fish does not seem to exhibit signs of excessive stress. The fish is very active, not at all lethargic or sitting on the bottom of the tank and is a voracious eater. I would tend to agree with the comment that if the fish was "stressed" that this would supress not excite egg laying.

Steve

ssmith
11-30-2009, 04:35 AM
To clairify - my use of the term "bowl" may be misleading, the Biorb aquarium I keep the fish in is both filtered and aerated - I also perform weekly water changes.

Steve

Jacko
11-30-2009, 05:16 AM
Still doesn't make it much better, BiOrbs are fancy sure, but they aren't appropriate homes for goldfish, goldfish are far too messy and big for a 4 gallon tank, square or sphere.

You could look into about a 40 gallon tank and get 2 more, chances are that 1 might be a male and he'll fertilize the eggs so they'll all eat them and the fry... fish seem to enjoy the wrigglers better than the eggs :hmm3grin2orange:

Lab_Rat
11-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Your weekly water changes are probably the reason the fish is still alive in such a small tank. Stress can manifest in many ways and for the age of the fish it is quite stunted from the small space it's living in. It's like you spending your entire life locked in a bathroom. Can you live, yes. Is quality of life good, no. Fortunately your bathroom has a working toilet (the weekly water change for the fish) so you're not as bad off as you would be if it were not working. Still not a great situation. If its possible, a larger tank will give you a much happier, more active fish. Plus, you likely won't notice eggs as much with the right decor.

VoidParadigm
11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Many (though not all) female goldfish will drop eggs, even if males are not around. However, your post seems to indicate that she's dropping them frequently, which is a bad sign. With no male around I'd expect her to drop no more than once every six months. (More likely in my experience no more than once a year, over a three day period.) The small space of 4 gallons could be what's causing this, as her mature body could be too small to hold the number of eggs it should, due to stunting.

How big was she when you bought her originally?

And what are your reasons for not wanting to provide her with a larger home? Besides a supposed lack of stress.

Red
11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
There is so much stress on the fish. I have a 2 year old goldfish and its 10+ inches. Its kind of sad for the goldfish, usually they die within a couple of months in that small of tank.