PDA

View Full Version : black tip reef sharks

Casey_NCHS
11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Where can I buy black tip reef sharks? also does anyone have any experience with these sharks? I currently have two leopard sharks.

Red
11-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Sharks will not get along together in the same tank, unless you own a 100k plus tank. What size tank do you even have?

Casey_NCHS
11-30-2009, 03:30 AM
I have the leopard sharks in a 500 gallon tank. I am going to put the reef sharks in a seperate tank.

Red
11-30-2009, 03:37 AM
what size tanks??

tori.lock
11-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Black tip reef sharks are best left in the wild or maybe in public aquariums.

EDIT: Same goes for the leopard sharks. Most sharks (if not all) should not be kept in a home aquarium.

MCHRKiller
11-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Agreed, Leopard sharks grow to upwards of around 6ft and are a fairly active shark. If your dead set on shark keeping consider the Epaulette, members of the Catsharks, and smaller Dogfish are probably your best options for the home aquarium. Your 500G tank is IMO not adequate as a permanant home for a Leopard shark muchless a BTreef shark which is an extremely active fish which will also grow to around 6ft. To house a shark as active as this fish you are quite honestly going to need a 10K gallon aquarium with a very impressive turnover as they also have a high oxygen demand.

Thats one of the reason catsharks are probably the best home aquarium shark choice in addition to a smaller size and docile somewhat lazy manner...they also have much lower oxygen demands as they are nocturnal bottom dwellers. I hope you are also grounding your aquarium, the stray electrical pulses from your equipment is going to seriously irritate your sharks who have a very sensitive electric field perception.

sunfishman
12-02-2009, 12:33 AM
als you may look into a wobegong if you want a large shark. although they will need a larger tank they are not as active as other sharks and are bottom dwellers. they do look a lot like a giant pleco, though

tori.lock
12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
I hate to disagree, and I'm not that experienced, but I think that any shark that is considered large should not be kept in a home aquarium, unless that home can provide them with 10k+ gallons of water.

als you may look into a wobegong if you want a large shark. although they will need a larger tank they are not as active as other sharks and are bottom dwellers. they do look a lot like a giant pleco, though

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
the Bamboo and Epaulette sharks are the only sharks small enough to be kept comfortably in a home aquarium. Even at that, they should still have a very large system. Wobegong's and other sharks belong in the wild or public aquariums simply because they get far too big.