PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Molly!

kenyth
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I found a really great colored Gold Dust Molly! Not a single speck of black, just brilliant gold with lots of sparkles. If I was a breeder, I'd have to locate a female as well. A really great looking fish!

nanaglen2001
04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
And wher is the pic of that cutie?

I used to have a female Molly, she was a real looker as well. Unfortuneately she died a few days ago

kenyth
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm going to snap a few of the tank when I get time. You really can't beat Platies and Mollies for adding bright color to the tank. Neons, Cardinals, Bettas, and Red Zebra Danios rate right up there as well.

kenyth
04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
And wher is the pic of that cutie?

I used to have a female Molly, she was a real looker as well. Unfortuneately she died a few days ago

I forgot to comment on your pic. Nice looking fish! A Lyretail Molly, right?

gm72
04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but since you both keep mollies, I'd like to know if you add salt to your water? There was a discussion over on the General board about this, opinions were split. I got some mollies for one of my community tanks but they don't seem to be doing well. Maybe I just got weak fish. Anyway, again, sorry to jump in but thanks!

kenyth
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but since you both keep mollies, I'd like to know if you add salt to your water? There was a discussion over on the General board about this, opinions were split. I got some mollies for one of my community tanks but they don't seem to be doing well. Maybe I just got weak fish. Anyway, again, sorry to jump in but thanks!

I add aquarium salt in the quantities specified on the jar, which is about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. The fish seem to like it better that way and it's not enough salt to stress the Cories. Mollies are said to like nearly brackish water, but they seem to adjust to less salinity just fine.

nanaglen2001
06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I have hard water and most of the Mollies I got are from private fish keepers. So there is no need for adding salt.

Most of the Mollies I bought or got, came from much softer water, so they are used to the common water parameters.

Some of my Mollies were born in my 110 gal. tank, then its natural for them.

I wouldnt keep Mollies in soft water, this is something they really dont like.

Severus
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Ive never had any luck with mollies. I belive it was due to their brackish nature...

Rue
06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
...I had major issues with my mollies (deaths) until I added the salt...

...since then it's been all fine...my remaining female has 2 tank-bred babies that are both doing well...

ChurchofAdam
06-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I've heard mollies don't do well without some salt, but I've also heard that platies and swordtails will benefit from it as well. I keep mine at about 1 tbsp per 5 gallons and they're all exceptionally happy. only one of my swords ever tries to 'jump ship' and that's when I'm rearranging something in the tank

nanaglen2001
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Cant say that my Mollies suffer cause they dont have any salt in their water. OK my water is pretty hard, maybe thats the reason I dont need to salten it, but just decide for yourselfs.

These arnt all my Mollies, I dunno how many of them I have in my tank, from just born to Methusalem age:hmm3grin2orange:

nanaglen2001
06-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Cant say that my Mollies suffer cause they dont have any salt in their water. OK my water is pretty hard, maybe thats the reason I dont need to salten it, but just decide for yourselfs.

These arnt all my Mollies, I dunno how many of them I have in my tank, from just born to Methusalem age:hmm3grin2orange: