PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Starved and dying?

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 05:13 AM
I had a thread up a week and a half ago aobut leaving my betta for a week without food. I was told it should be fine, but I'm worried. I get back and the first thing I do is throw in a little flake of food, but he shows no interest. He's really lethargic (as I imagined he would be) but it seems drastically so. He's bumping into things like he's blind and gets stuck between roots and leaves he normally darts through. His fins are almost transparent and he keeps just sitting at the bottom of the tank. He'll swim to the surface to breath, which is good, but he doesn't seem to notice the food. I'm worried if I can't get him to eat soon I'll loose him.I'm probably just being a worried mom but I'm terrified of loosing my little guy.

Northernguy
11-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Is it in a tank or a bowl?
Have you done a water change yet?
Have you tested the water yet?
A week is not that long for a healthy fish.

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 05:23 AM
He was extremely healthy when I left. I literally just walked in the door. He's in a heated tank, but I haven't gotten to get a working filter on it. (Tank came with one, it was busted, they wouldn't fix it, bought one, it was too big, then I left.) Haven't tested water since I couldn't afford a water test kit, but when I go to the store this week I'm going to pick one up with a new filter. I want to do a 75% water change but I'm worried about stressing him more.

Should I put him in a small bowl with the water he's currently in with some food and do the change?

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Random update (Yes, I'm sitting on the floor by the tank) and I saw him swim up to a flake that sank, nosed it, and swam away. It looked like he didn't even notice it.

Northernguy
11-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Do a very large water change and vacuum the bottom if you have one of those. You may want to do another large water change tomorrow too..I do suggest 75%.
Your fish is not starving its dying from ammonia poisoning.
I guess when you asked about your fish you didn't mention that it wasn't cycled.
Make sure you add dechlorinator.
You need a filter a lot more than a heater.

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I'll do that. I'd been doing weekly 50-75% water changes and there'd been no problems at all. I did a big change right before I left. I think the spike was from crypts that I added just before I left and some of the leaves melted.

Thank you

Northernguy
11-29-2009, 05:30 AM
If you haven't read the free ebook.
It talks about plants too.
Stop buying anything for the tank.Filter first!lol

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Yeah, the filter story is a pain in the butt. I bought the heater with the tank because it was a system that came with a filter, so I was just going to use that one. Then when it didn't work I bought a new one and some plants, but then the filter was too big. I just got paid though, so I'll see if I can get a ride to the store tomorrow to get a filter and a kit. I'd take the bus, but they don't run on Sundays. Unfortunately if I can't go tomorrow I'll have to wait until Tuesday to go since I have classes all day Monday. I'm doing the change now and already he seems to be doing better.

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 07:22 AM
He's much better already. His color is almost all the way back and he's back to his usual self. A little tired, but nothing I'm worried about. I realized I wouldn't be able to get all the stuff I needed at the store so I just did a big shipment from Dr. Foster & Smith since they had flat-rate $6 shipping. I got a vac, filter and test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. It was a good amount of money, but I need to buy it anyways and I have the money on me.

Wild Turkey
11-29-2009, 07:39 AM
He's much better already. His color is almost all the way back and he's back to his usual self. A little tired, but nothing I'm worried about. I realized I wouldn't be able to get all the stuff I needed at the store so I just did a big shipment from Dr. Foster & Smith since they had flat-rate $6 shipping. I got a vac, filter and test kit for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. It was a good amount of money, but I need to buy it anyways and I have the money on me.

^ great startthumbs2:

How big is the tank? Most petstores have ten gal tanks for around 10 bucks and thats heaven for a betta. It will also give you some floorspace to add a good amount of decor and fix it up the way you like

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
He's in a 3g. I bought it really cheap as a system, but the filter had a dead motor so it was more or less useless, except it was cheap enough, and they gave me a $18 refund for the broken filter. He's pretty happy in it, and I really don't have much more room to get bigger. When I move back home I might get a bigger tank, or another one. At the moment I can't be splurging on anything else.

Deleted User
11-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm happy to read through the thread and see he's going better and that he's got goodies on the way! thumbs2:

tori.lock
11-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Yep, he is most certainly going to pull through. This morning he was feisty as ever, darting around and playing in the leaves and roots, and doing his little wiggle dances and half-flares for me. Ate wonderfully (you could hear quite loudly him tearing at the flakes) and is perky, bright and alert.

Oscar_freak12321
11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
That is great news! Just jumped into this thread, but sounds like the little guy's turned his deathbed around! :19:

tori.lock
11-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone. He's doing so well. He built a bubble nest! It's the second one I've ever seen in his tank. There was another but I accidentally destroyed it not realizing what it was.

Deleted User
11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Way to go, Tori & Moose :19: :19: :19: