PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 gallon ideas?

morgangallow
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
hey, i've an empty 2.5 gallon aquarium and i'm looking for stocking ideas. ANYTHING low maintenance. any ideas?

rich311k
11-28-2009, 11:10 PM
A betta or shrimp would be your best choices. Is there a filter or heater?

Amazon
11-29-2009, 12:03 AM
i was gonna say least killifish, but I doubt you could find them. I sell them but your in Canada. They are the 7th smallest fish in the world the males only get 1/3 of an in.

HomaridNoob6
11-29-2009, 02:57 AM
well, since this is in the turtle, amphibian and reptile section I would suggest a couple small salamanders maybe. One problem, they aren't all that entertaining, even though I really like them. They spend most of the time hiding under a rock, or piece of wood, they're pretty easy to find in the wild though, just go out in the woods in most temperate places and turn over some rocks or logs. Easy to care for too, keep some moisture in the tank but not any actual water areas, throw in some small crickets once a week and thats it. Periodically the wood shavings in the tank will need to be changed to prevent mold.

I used to keep them in a tank with about an inch of large gravel, covered by a small layer of wood shavings and chips. just keep a bit of water under the wood shavings, and give em some hiding spots. If they're native, no heater needed, and obviously no filter. Careful also with reptile lamps or any lighting thats non flourescent, they can dry out from the heat really fast! A small and shallow water dish is nice too.

If there aren't native salamanders anywhere near you, well this probably does you no good. never really seen salamanders at pet stores except for a few exotic varieties.

EDIT: I was gonna offer to send you a few, I find them in my backyard all the time and by the dozens, but I don't know about the legalities of sending them to Canada.

morgangallow
11-29-2009, 06:59 AM
hey, thanks for the ideas. there can be a heater, and i could fashion a small sponge filter if need be. Lobsternoob, you are right, i was thinking something non-fishy, but my mind is open. a salamander does sound pretty cool, and easy enough, there's a petstore selling fire belly newts nearby, would they be ok? it's got a cover on it, i know they climb.

Amazon
11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
They should be fine in the tank.
pics when you get it up!:22:

Oscar_freak12321
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Scarlet Gem badis would look good in one, a single male shown here: http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/Dario_dario.jpg

Dwarf puffers, although a bit more maintenance, still completely worth it, a fully grown one shown here: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddbal1208.jpg

And of course, check out my sig, where Fishalicious' blog has so many small fish for a nano tank it's ridiculous. Hope this helps. :22:

Jacko
11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
A single Dario dario might be good, they're a bit difficult to get to eat anything other than live or frozen foods though. I'd go with a scarlet badis and some neocaridina shrimps (RCS, yellow, blue pearl, snowball etc) because when those breed they'll provide a bit of live food that the badis can hunt on his own.

Other than that I can't really think of anything non-aquatic. All the newts and amphibians I know of get either too active for a 2.5 or too big:hmm3grin2orange:

morgangallow
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
wow, awesome stuff guys. oscarphreak12321, you may have inspired me: look at all those fish! give me a week or so to work on this and i will get some pictures up for you guys. thanks :19: :19:

Oscar_freak12321
11-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Glad to know I helped! :19: There sure are a bunch of small fish aren't there? :18: :hmm3grin2orange: