PDA

View Full Version : Sump Question

A340
04-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Is it possible to use 1 sump for multiple tanks? If so, is there a general guideline for a size of sump/water flow compared to the tanks themselves?

unleashed
04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Is it possible to use 1 sump for multiple tanks? If so, is there a general guideline for a size of sump/water flow compared to the tanks themselves?
It is possible. the sump itself gernerally needs to be the same size as the largest display tank with at least 20x turnover.

A340
04-16-2007, 10:17 PM
It is possible. the sump itself gernerally needs to be the same size as the largest display tank with at least 20x turnover.
All the tanks will be the same size (10g), what is the 20x turnover? Is that a flow rate?

Drumachine09
04-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Yes, but that increases the risk of contaminating other tanks.

20x turn over would be 200 gallons an hour

unleashed
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
All the tanks will be the same size (10g), what is the 20x turnover? Is that a flow rate?
Okay. with 2x 10g tanks you will probably need a 15-20g sump to run them both. the combined flow of water which goes from each tank needs to be 20x the volume of the two main tanks

e.g.

tank 1 = 10g - 200g turnover
tank 2 = 10g - 200g turnover
sump = 20g

total flow going through the sump will need to be at least 400gph

my new 50g tank is going to have a 1000-1500gph turnover (that includes my powerheads as well).

unleashed
04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes, but that increases the risk of contaminating other tanks.

20x turn over would be 200 gallons an hour
yes. that is the risk you take when you use one sump for 2 tanks

A340
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
That there is a risk running 3 tanks with one sump is obvious, contamination/disease wise.

I've never used a sump before, so the whole set up of them is somewhat new to me.

Bascially, what I am planning to do is build a custom stand and set up 3 10g nano reef tanks. I was thinking about using a sump for mechanical filteration on all 3 to reduce the amount of equimpment I need to run them effeciently.

Any other suggestions would be more then welcome!

Drumachine09
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
That there is a risk running 3 tanks with one sump is obvious, contamination/disease wise.

I've never used a sump before, so the whole set up of them is somewhat new to me.

Bascially, what I am planning to do is build a custom stand and set up 3 10g nano reef tanks. I was thinking about using a sump for mechanical filteration on all 3 to reduce the amount of equimpment I need to run them effeciently.

Any other suggestions would be more then welcome!

Why not just do 1 30 gallon reef.

A340
04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Why not just do 1 30 gallon reef.
Uniqueness. I think it would make not only for an interesting project, but also a creative one.

unleashed
04-16-2007, 10:57 PM
if you are going to go for 3x 10g displays on one sump, the sump would need to have a carrying capacity of around 40-60g. With an average turnover of 30x per display (ie. 900gph total). You will need a powerful skimmer (or ecosystems method) and strong bio filtration. I would go 3 seperate pumps for the return.

A340
04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
if you are going to go for 3x 10g displays on one sump, the sump would need to have a carrying capacity of around 40-60g. With an average turnover of 30x per display (ie. 900gph total). You will need a powerful skimmer (or ecosystems method) and strong bio filtration. I would go 3 seperate pumps for the return.
Sounds like one big sump. Is there a reason why it needs (or seems to need) to be bigger then if I were running a larger tank?

In regards to a skimmer and bio filteration, from what I understand, it's recommended that nano reef tanks don't require them as the live rock/sand provides more then enough bio filteration.

Also, would using a sump reduce the amount of water evaporation in the display tanks, or would it be the same as any other type of filteration method?

unleashed
04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Sounds like one big sump. Is there a reason why it needs (or seems to need) to be bigger then if I were running a larger tank?

In regards to a skimmer and bio filteration, from what I understand, it's recommended that nano reef tanks don't require them as the live rock/sand provides more then enough bio filteration.

Also, would using a sump reduce the amount of water evaporation in the display tanks, or would it be the same as any other type of filteration method?
No. evaporation would still be the same. I would suggest a TUNZE auto-topup system in your sump to deal with this.

Usually with nanos there is no need for a skimmer. however, if you are having three nanos hooked to one system (your display total is 30g), you will need a skimmer due to the increased bioload in the system. If you do not want a skimmer, I would suggest an Ecosystems sump with 24/7 lighting. People I know have had good results with this (also doesn't need a big sump) which i why I am going to use it with my new tank.

A340
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
No. evaporation would still be the same. I would suggest a TUNZE auto-topup system in your sump to deal with this.

Usually with nanos there is no need for a skimmer. however, if you are having three nanos hooked to one system (your display total is 30g), you will need a skimmer due to the increased bioload in the system. If you do not want a skimmer, I would suggest an Ecosystems sump with 24/7 lighting. People I know have had good results with this (also doesn't need a big sump) which i why I am going to use it with my new tank.
In regards to the skimmer, this is where it gets tricky. From what I gather you are saying, I should treat the system as 1 x 30g tank, not 3 x 10g tanks. Correct?

Even though, the total display volume will be 30g, it is divided into 3 seperate enviroments, so one's train of thought go's kinda back and forth.

I'll take a look into the Ecosystem sumps, thanks for the tip.

unleashed
04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
In regards to the skimmer, this is where it gets tricky. From what I gather you are saying, I should treat the system as 1 x 30g tank, not 3 x 10g tanks. Correct?

That is correct

I'll take a look into the Ecosystem sumps, thanks for the tip.

Do look into it. Everyone who uses it, loves it!!! Everyone who is more "traditional" hate it without even trying it. It expensive to start off with but in the long run you will find that it will be cheaper than the cost and maintenance you will have with all the skimmers etc.