PDA

View Full Version : Listing of hi,lo and med light level plants

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 04:03 AM
http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html

At the bottom this lists high, med and low level lighting plants and also floating plants.

I'm trying to find a list of low light level plants so I can forget the CO2 so if anyone has a better list, will you please post them. Thanks

Tails
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks! This is exactly what I've been looking for! Grrr now to just convert all the farenheits to celciuses lol

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 05:05 PM
It wasn't the greatest list but all I could find last night. If I find a better one I will post it.

I failed miserably in the plant department. Buying plants before the tank is ready for plants is as bad as buying fish before your tank is ready for them.

The next time I head that way, I will make sure I have the proper lighting and fertilizers before I even "go there." I have some struggling now in a 29 gallon tank with only 30 watts and just stuck in the gravel. They're not very "purdy."

hungryhound
04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the list hobbs. I think that I have found my new floating plant.

link (http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/pteridophytes/azolla00.htm)
Azolla mexicana C. Presl, floating-fern is mostly restricted to the Mississippi River area in Wisconsin.
Azolla caroliniana Willdenow, Carolina mosquito-fern has been reported from a few locations in southern Wisconsin.

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/pteridophytes/azocar_aspect01.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out how well it grows in the aquarium

frizzlefish
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Great list! Thanks.

Oh and is it just me, or does the picture for medium light requirements make you giggle?

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the list hobbs. I think that I have found my new floating plant.

link (http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/pteridophytes/azolla00.htm)
Azolla mexicana C. Presl, floating-fern is mostly restricted to the Mississippi River area in Wisconsin.
Azolla caroliniana Willdenow, Carolina mosquito-fern has been reported from a few locations in southern Wisconsin.

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/pteridophytes/azocar_aspect01.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out how well it grows in the aquarium

I like this plant a lot. Different from any I've seen. And since it's of the fern varity, fish may leave it alone. Good job!

hungryhound
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I like this plant a lot. Different from any I've seen. And since it's of the fern varity, fish may leave it alone. Good job!

It seems like it grows in the aquarium okay as well. Some sites have stated that it likes an open top at least a couple of inches, but now it is a matter of finding some to purchase.

Apparently under high light it will also turn a bright red.

edit added picture of red leaves

http://www.evergreen.ca/nativeplants/admin/images/medium/9738_medium.jpg

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Great list! Thanks.

Oh and is it just me, or does the picture for medium light requirements make you giggle?

My onion plants are doing great even in this crummy lighting. After 3 weeks two have reached the surface of the water! (Said to need med light.) I'm almost afraid to fertilize them. Claims to grow 20-40 inches. LOL I got them just to see if my silver dollars would eat them. (They don't) but wouldn't you just know the one plant that is not giving me problems is the one I will most likely have to part with due to their height.

I, for one, am not willing to spend $300 (and up) for lights for plants. This might be OK with one tank but not reasonable with several. If it wasn't for the little things in life (groceries, rent, new tires, car insurance, electric bills, etc) ........sigh.........then a person could really go nuts.

xoolooxunny
04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
My onion plants are doing great even in this crummy lighting. After 3 weeks two have reached the surface of the water! (Said to need med light.) I'm almost afraid to fertilize them. Claims to grow 20-40 inches. LOL I got them just to see if my silver dollars would eat them. (They don't) but wouldn't you just know the one plant that is not giving me problems is the one I will most likely have to part with due to their height.

I, for one, am not willing to spend $300 (and up) for lights for plants. This might be OK with one tank but not reasonable with several. If it wasn't for the little things in life (groceries, rent, new tires, car insurance, electric bills, etc) ........sigh.........then a person could really go nuts.

You probably mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but what kind of bulbs do you currently use?

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 06:20 PM
All I still have is the rinky-dink light that come with the tank (a whooping 15 watts) but have added another hood light giving me my grand total of 30. :)

Getting another light is not a problem but right now I need another TANK and STAND so am reluntent to keep putting money in this little one when I have an over-populated larger tank and need to get another set up ASAP. My money needs to go where it's most needed.......unfortunately.

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 06:21 PM
It seems like it grows in the aquarium okay as well. Some sites have stated that it likes an open top at least a couple of inches, but now it is a matter of finding some to purchase.

Apparently under high light it will also turn a bright red.

edit added picture of red leaves

http://www.evergreen.ca/nativeplants/admin/images/medium/9738_medium.jpg

I love it!!!!!!! Will it grow dense enough to block the light from your plants at the bottom, tho. It sure is pretty.

xoolooxunny
04-16-2007, 06:28 PM
All I still have is the rinky-dink light that come with the tank (a whooping 15 watts) but have added another hood light giving me my grand total of 30. :)

Getting another light is not a problem but right now I need another TANK and STAND so am reluntent to keep putting money in this little one when I have an over-populated larger tank and need to get another set up ASAP. My money needs to go where it's most needed.......unfortunately.

For now (until i start my summer job) I have a regular fixture that i got from home depot for around 25 bucks, and in that i have 2x 40w t-10 powerglo bulbs. They seem to do the trick for what i have in there now, just cant have any carpet plants or my ultimate fantasy - the madagascar lace plant. Anywho, the utility fixture is suitable for damp places and i have it over a glass lids, which i keep clean.

hungryhound
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I love it!!!!!!! Will it grow dense enough to block the light from your plants at the bottom, tho. It sure is pretty.

From my reading I think that it will grow dense enough to block the light from the rest of your tank. But as long as you trim it reguraly, I bet it would be fine.

Chrona
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
For now (until i start my summer job) I have a regular fixture that i got from home depot for around 25 bucks, and in that i have 2x 40w t-10 powerglo bulbs. They seem to do the trick for what i have in there now, just cant have any carpet plants or my ultimate fantasy - the madagascar lace plant. Anywho, the utility fixture is suitable for damp places and i have it over a glass lids, which i keep clean.

Actually, xooloo, marsilea hirsuta will grow a dense carpet that stays short even in fairly low lighting. My wisteria shaded a lot of the stuff and it still grows and keeps it's 1 inch height. Once my carpet complete fills in, I can send you a portion, or post a wanted ad in plantedtank.net. It looks similar to glosso, except with darker leaves, and it's MUCH easier to take care of.

xoolooxunny
04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Actually, xooloo, marsilea hirsuta will grow a dense carpet that stays short even in fairly low lighting. My wisteria shaded a lot of the stuff and it still grows and keeps it's 1 inch height. Once my carpet complete fills in, I can send you a portion, or post a wanted ad in plantedtank.net. It looks similar to glosso, except with darker leaves, and it's MUCH easier to take care of.

Sounds good! Does it take to fluorite though? (Can't remember if that's what you have or not) None of my lfs's have any kind of carpeting plants EVER!

Chrona
04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Sounds good! Does it take to fluorite though? (Can't remember if that's what you have or not) None of my lfs's have any kind of carpeting plants EVER!

Yep, it takes very well to Flourite, though the initial planting is a bit of a PITA, since you have to break the clump up into small clusters of 2-3 leaves each. Expect to spend about 1-2 hours planting it and keeping it planted in your 55g, which is really no different than any other carpet plant. Tweezers help A LOT. Carpet plants and Flourite usually don't mix (particles too large for sideshoots), ie dwarf hairgrass, HC, and even glossostigma, but marsilea seems to work great.

xoolooxunny
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
sounds great, pm me if the situation arises!