PDA

View Full Version : Betas in large community tanks

smaug
11-26-2009, 04:08 AM
How many of you keep betas in large [40 gal plus] community tanks?My daughter was given one a few weeks ago and we kept it in a small 1gal tank for a week till I made the command decision to save its life from our chilly house temps and put it in my 58 gal planted community tank.I worried about a few things such as the acara,the hand size angelfish and the krib female.He has been in there for over a week now and seems to be loving life.The tall leaves of the rubin swords come right to the waters surface and there is a large amount of surface clutter he hangs out in.He has also really filled out .I wish I could get a pic but his habitat totally precludes it.

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 04:36 AM
I don't think many here keep a betta in anything larger than a ten.
I like the idea of the large community tank but I would be worried about that mix.
You never know! I think it has a good chance if they are well fed.I'm sure the amount of plants in that tank are helping.

Red
11-26-2009, 06:03 AM
I keep mine in a 75 with 4 females and breeds all the time... Just first hand advice.

korith
11-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Really depends on the personality of the betta and the other fish in the tank. Too many variables to tell how well it'll do. I had one in a 20g long tank by himself, and it thrived in there. Had a bunch of shrimp in the tank, until one day he got annoyed and killed all the ghost shrimp.

Neon
11-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I had mine in my 35 Gal and he was happy with his tankmates , neons , otos and platies. I don't like to see Betta in small jars. Mine died because of age I guess .

Deleted User
11-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I would think you could keep one sole male and some females. I've kept them in community tanks w/o issue except for red ones (2x). That's not exactly a science at that point, only two red ones, but a friend of mine also had "meanness" issues with a red one. Right now, I have six male bettas in 2 divided 10g tanks and it's working well. I actually am enjoying them more sort of displayed on their own than I did in the community tanks, but the fish themselves have done really well either way.

smaug
11-26-2009, 01:56 PM
The nastiest fish in the tank is the angel but he cant get to where the beta hangs out.I am interested in putting some fems in there and see how it works out.Thanks for the input.

Scrup
11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I have 7 females and 2 males that lives in a 225 community tank. Go heavy on the floating plants, and stay away from nippy fish. Had a few problems with nippers, but they get along just fine with each other.

The males each claimed a 4' section of the tank, and have never fought after the first day when they were testing borders. Once the females get a pecking order down they are pretty mellow.

octoxpuss
11-27-2009, 01:53 AM
I keep my male betta in a 55 gallon with 10+ platties 1 gourami 11 corydoras 2 parrot fish and 2 female betta for atles 3 months now.

jcarr71
11-27-2009, 02:32 AM
I had a single female in my 75g community. She swam back and forth all day along one side of the tank. She never bothered or really as much as acknowledged any other fish in the tank. She died after about two months unexpectedly though. One day she was doing her thing and the next morning she was dead.

sheamurai
11-27-2009, 02:50 AM
I had a male in all my communities, but sometimes had to do some swapping around when individuals didn't play nice with others. So long as you have a plan B, its all good. My bettas enjoy the room, but Jill is right - in a big tank (like my 77gal) you hardly notice they are in there - they are just too small to show well. A school of females might be better, display wise? I've no experience with a larger group of females...

Wild Turkey
11-27-2009, 04:37 AM
IME bettas can be housed with other fish as long as you do it right. Ive never kept one in a large tank but I have set up a few tanks with them and other fish in a community

Impressive stuff smaug, good save

octoxpuss
11-27-2009, 04:41 AM
Like I said before I had one in my 55 gallon a d I could not be happier with it's look and attitude everything just worked out so nicely. It could really be a hit or miss.

incorporeal_x
11-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I have one in my tank and he's only ever flared once that I know of. He thinks he's a platy

smaug
11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
So far he is loving life.I have never seen a beta with such a strong appetite.He also dislpays to his reflection in the dirty glass at the back of the tank.Pretty cool really,and I got some pics too.

octoxpuss
11-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Awesome Betta looks happy.

geminidragn
11-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I haven't had any tanks larger than a 10 gallon. But one of my ten gallons is a community tank with one male and three females (I had four, but my red female died unexpectedly). I read somewhere that there should be a ratio of two gallons per one fish.

If you do decide to add females make sure to get them at the same time and make sure to put them in the tank at the same time. This will minimize the pecking order fights.