PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Gar or Marble Gar?

Bennlfer
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/15ohuub.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/20tqstf.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1y61pv.jpg

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm sure Demjor will have an idea.
He should be on soon.

Crispy
11-26-2009, 01:44 AM
marbled gar IMO. Nice fish!

Bennlfer
11-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks!! I traded my Jardini away so i could establish a community in my new 135 gallon. I loved him, but i really wanted to have more than one fish in that big of a tank.

Crispy
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Jardini and gar could've possibly got along. Hmmm... I'd prefer the jar over the gar, but it's your tank. It is possible to have a predator community tank if large enuff. What are your plans with the tank? A gar will eat anything a jar would've.

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Thats a nice fish!
Is it in your tank now?

Bennlfer
11-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks!! Yeah its in my 60 gallon right now along with 4 bichirs and my pleco. They are all going to be put in the 135 on Saturday.I know this seems cramped for them all, and it probably is, but everyone is doing great and the switch is coming up soon.

Crispy-I discovered my pleco's fin had a huge chunk missing from it one day and concluded that i would not even try to mix other fishes with him... For the fish's sake. I like the gar better actually, he is more laid back and not skittish a bit, he gets along fine with everyone and looks great.

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
It not being skittish is a good thing.Thats they usually end up wrecking their nose and leaping from the tank!
How long is it now?

Bennlfer
11-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Only like 4 or 5 inches, but probably closer to 4. He seems to be growing quickly though. Only recently has he started eating well. He is currently eating shrimp and blood worms.

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Take your time moving it to a 6ft tank.If it does turn skittish it will have the room to gain a lot of speed and get hurt.

Bennlfer
11-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Ok will do :ssmile: The two tanks are right next each other so hopefully that will make it a bit easier on him. He will be out of the water for only a second.

Demjor19
11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Florida Gar. Marbled gar is just another misleading common name given to either the Florida or the Spotted gar. Since 99.9% of all Florida/Spotted gars in the hobby are indeed Florida Gars...i'd feel confident in saying it's a Florida gar. Florida and Spotted gars are damn near impossible to tell apart without knowing the locality in which it was collected or performing a necropsy.

If you want a community tank gar will normally allow for you to do that! Good call on the gar! They are one of my favorite fish to keep! thumbs2:

p.s. That Jardini would have been a terrible idea to mix with any gar species. Believe it or not...gar are actually very fragile in many ways.

Demjor19
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
One more thing...watch that pleco with the gar. They will actually suck the slime coat off of the gar causing many problems and often times death. This is coming from personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Bennlfer
11-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I actually took the pleco out this morning. Now everybody gets along just fine :ssmile:

I love the gar twice as much as the jardini already! He comes up to my hand when i put it in the tank and im going to try to hand feed him. He is very easy going and very nice to look at. Not to mention he's a great eater! :ssmile:
Very nice fish indeed, if i had a bigger tank in store i would definitely get another one!

Demjor19
11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I actually took the pleco out this morning. Now everybody gets along just fine :ssmile:

I love the gar twice as much as the jardini already! He comes up to my hand when i put it in the tank and im going to try to hand feed him. He is very easy going and very nice to look at. Not to mention he's a great eater! :ssmile:
Very nice fish indeed, if i had a bigger tank in store i would definitely get another one!

I would't really recommend hand feeding them, but that's up to you. I've been grabbed by a few larger gars and it's not fun.

He'll max out between 16-20 inches and it will take him about 2-3 years to reach that size. They seem to grow very fast for their first year, then slow down after that. I would look for him to reach about 12-14 inches within a year, then maybe grow another 2 inches the next year...after that growth is hardly noticeable.

What size tank are you planning on keeping them in (as adults). A 180 (6x2x2) is about all you need for this species. I have had my oldest in a 180 for going on 6 years and he is right around 18". They seem to only put more weight on at this size.

If you need any help pm me. i'd be glad to help!

Edit: I actually just thought of something. I won't post it here (don't want to pull the thread in the wrong direction), so i'll pm you.

Bennlfer
11-29-2009, 03:23 AM
I plan on keeping them all in at least a 240 or 300 gallon in the future, but for the next year or two, they will be in my 135. Its 18 inches across so i think it will be enough room for the gar when he gets a little bigger. Do you think another gar will be cramped in there with them? I would love to get another :ssmile:

(Exact stock list: Senegal bichir: 8 inches Ornate bichir : 5 inches Del Hezi bichir: 3 inches Endlicheri bichir 3 inches Florida Gar: 4 inches)

Crispy
11-29-2009, 03:35 AM
You got room for another gar... just keep your word on the bigger setup in the future. :fish:

Bennlfer
11-29-2009, 03:48 AM
I will for sure! :ssmile: Ill keep my eye open for another gar once everything has gotten well established.

Demjor19
11-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Yeah, you should be fine with another Florida. Just don't add any aggressive species to the tank...they will destroy a gar in no time. Gar also have a hard time contending for food against more aggressive species. This basically rules out cichlids and the such. Bichirs are great with gars...probably the best non-lepisosteidae tankmate for them!

Bennlfer
11-29-2009, 03:55 AM
That is great news as these are both basically my favorite fish!!
Is this true about gars- They can breath atmospheric air from the surface while in waters with low oxygenation? If it is, then there is something these two have in common.

Demjor19
11-29-2009, 04:58 AM
That is great news as these are both basically my favorite fish!!
Is this true about gars- They can breath atmospheric air from the surface while in waters with low oxygenation? If it is, then there is something these two have in common.

How about this...they both HAVE to breath atmospheric air to survive. They will breath less or more depending on the DO in the water, but they will both come up for breaths very regularly. By both I mean Lepisosteids and Polypterids. I love primitive fishes!

Bennlfer
11-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Wow good thing i leave my tank a couple of inches empty! :ssmile: I have also noticed that i tend to fancy the "Ancient" fishes as well. They are all so powerful looking. Even cute bichirs look like they could tear up another fish if they were hungry. Ever seen your ornate do a death roll?

Demjor19
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow good thing i leave my tank a couple of inches empty! :ssmile: I have also noticed that i tend to fancy the "Ancient" fishes as well. They are all so powerful looking. Even cute bichirs look like they could tear up another fish if they were hungry. Ever seen your ornate do a death roll?

My Ornate is a puppy dog...he's never been aggressive towards any tankmates. I have seen him roll with a shrimp that was a little too big for him...I guess he was trying to tear it in half (which worked).

From my experience...most primitive fish arent "aggressive", they just have a drive to feed. If something is obviously too large to be a food item, they will normally leave it alone. I have seen a few exceptions to this though (my Tropical Gar was a jerk for the first year).

Bennlfer
11-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh really? I wanted to ask you some questions about him (max size, temperament, etc.) I am really intrigued by the fact that he is so rare.. :ssmile:

Demjor19
11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh really? I wanted to ask you some questions about him (max size, temperament, etc.) I am really intrigued by the fact that he is so rare.. :ssmile:

Are you refering to the Trop?

Bennlfer
11-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah sorry about that

Demjor19
11-30-2009, 05:11 AM
He was very aggressive for the first year...he would grab anything that swam by him. I do think it was related to his rapid growth though...he reached 16+ inches in one year (then pretty much stopped). Now days he is no trouble at all and gets along well with his tankmates (I do find nipped fins once in a while, but that is going to happen in a pred community).

When I get my 375 up and running I want to get a Cuban Gar. They are super rare and hard to keep, but are an amazing pred to have in a tank!

Bennlfer
12-01-2009, 01:20 AM
You have a connection for those!? :ssuprised:

Demjor19
12-01-2009, 02:02 AM
You have a connection for those!? :ssuprised:

Of course! :ssmile:

Bennlfer
12-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Wow man you sure do have friends in high places! Lol :ssmile:

Any chance you can help me get a tropical gar sometime in the future?
(After i learn more about keeping gars of course)

Demjor19
12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow man you sure do have friends in high places! Lol :ssmile:

Any chance you can help me get a tropical gar sometime in the future?
(After i learn more about keeping gars of course)

LOL...I just know the right people in the hobby. I'm friends with a few people who import some pretty rare fish. When I got my T-Gar there were less than 50 in the country. I think they are up around 100 or so now.

As far as getting you one...I could find you one, but going back to that PM I sent you. That would be a HUGE issue. Nobody I know will ship there. I would just be happy to habve what you have! :22:

Bennlfer
12-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeah i think you're right. :ssmile: If anything ill get another Florida.