PDA

View Full Version : Poor little guy

labnjab
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I turned the lights on this morning and found that our small black moore has a huge scrape down his side. Half his scales are missing. He must have got spooked during the night and scraped against the play sand because it wasn't there last night. I ran out of malifix so im picking up a big bottle tonight and will start doseing that as well as doing a large water change.

Other then that is there anything else I should do? Our larger black moore scrapes himself on occasion but not this bad but it usually clears up on its own in less then a week. Looks like I'll be switching to a finer sand to prevent it from happening again in the future

Rue
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Poor guy! I don't think there's much more you can do than you're doing. If you're really worried though, set up a hospital tank now...then if he gets infected and you need to do a more medicated bath or a salt bath for him, you'll be ready...

labnjab
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Heres a pic of him. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/jabsgirlforever/IMAG0002.jpg

I'll set up our extra 10 gallon tonight for him. He's acting normal but I don't want it to get worse. We've already lost one goldie this month and I don't want to loose another. I'm on lunch now so after I feed the bird I'm running to the LFS and picking up some malifix now instead of waiting till tonight

Rue
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
That entire orange area is the scrape? Quite extensive! Fish do heal quickly though...betcha he'll be fine...

labnjab
11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, the entire area is scraped. Lesson learned, no more play sand:14:. I noticed sometimes when the play the rub against is while Chasing each other. Usually they don't get hurt. I plan on changing to to something finer and not so sharp when I get some extra cash. Probably pool filter sand

The 1st dose of meds is in. Tonight I'm setting up a 10 gallon for him and will fill it with 5 gallons from the display and 5 new since I'm doing a water change anyways. If he heals as fast as the others do he should be good to go in a week or so. I was shocked to see how bad it was

VoidParadigm
11-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Melafix and clean water is about all you can do for now.

My goldfish scraped hurt themselves constantly, and more than once the males were far too rough during breeding. Everyone's healed up on their own.

Heh, even my goldy who got pulled out of the water, attacked, and punctured in two places by a raven we just threw back in the pond. Three months later when we pulled them out for the winter he was alive and everything had healed up. (Granted, in that case his growth stopped forever, and his mouth can only open on one side, but still, for being actually punctured and not given any meds I think it's a darn good example of the hardiness of goldfish.)

sunfishman
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
i usually stay away from goldfish/carp, but i feel sory for you and your fish.

Northernguy
11-26-2009, 12:04 AM
That should heal up fast.

labnjab
11-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Thank you. Just a little update. We decided not to move him to the hospital tank unless it got worse. After over 24 hours he already looks a lot better and its starting to heal and he seems a little more perky. I just added the 2nd dose of malifix. At this rate he should be healed in a week or so. I'll keep you updated

Rue
11-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Yay! Glad he's better! Thanks for the update...I was wondering...

Northernguy
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Good to hear!
Glad its on the mend!:22:

labnjab
11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll keep you updated but things are looking good. That malifx gives the room a good smell too, lol

Rue
11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
LOL...now I just HAVE to disagree with you...the smell of Melifix makes me gag...:help:

:hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
11-27-2009, 03:51 PM
lol, I don't mind it. It hides the occasional smell I get when my skimmer on our reef is ready to be emptied

Rue
11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
OMG...you're using it as room deodorizer! Hahaha!

I'm sorry...but I won't be stopping by for coffee after all - unless we sit outside!:hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
11-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Lol, luckily the skimmer doesn't smell now, I emptied it Wednesday, but by next Wednesday it will but by that time I probably won't be dosing meds anymore. I should get some kind of carbon top for it to reduce the smell

labnjab
11-30-2009, 11:14 PM
The little black moore is doing great. The wound is probably 75% healed up, but one of our other goldies has developed a problem. Its our orange oranda and she's got a swim bladder issue. We've been feeding peas and she eats them but she's having trouble staying up right. she's had the problem for about a week now. Other then peas what else can we do? She eats fine but spends most of the day in a corner which helps her stay upright

Rue
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Glad the moor is doing so well! Very fast healing.

Not sure what to suggest for the swim bladder issue...in my opinion once they get it, they may get better, but they'll never be quite right again. One of my older goldfish (now dead) did have severe issues as a baby...but it got MUCH better once I stopped feeding flakes...and then when I got him in the 55g tank it cleared up 90% - I think having room to move played a large role...

But it flared up again shortly before he died...:scry:

BTW...I was in a room that stunk of eucalyptus today...thought of you! :14:

VoidParadigm
12-01-2009, 12:53 AM
For the swim bladder issue you could try changing the goldy's diet. Otherwise I don't know about any treatment. If it gets too, too bad you might have to euth unless someone knows of treatment, but that'd only be in a severe case. I've had several goldies develop minor swim bladder problems over the years, they've all lived relatively normal lives.

labnjab
12-01-2009, 05:34 AM
He's getting to be pretty bad now. He's seems to be eating but can't stay upright for more then a minute or 2. I feel bad, I wish we could give he some sort of fish size life preserver to help keep him upright. I think its due to poor breeding. He has a overdeveloped wen as well.

Its hard to find a decent fancy goldfish around here. So far we've been lucky with both our black moores and calico and we've had them for a year and a half. Our red cap is doing well too but we haven't had him that long. Some reason orange orandas don't do so well around here. We lost our larger female orange oranda a few months ago due to mysterious causes and now our last orange oranda has a swim bladder issue

labnjab
12-02-2009, 02:50 AM
If he doesn't get any better soon I think I'm going to have to put him down. He looks miserable and spends most of the day upside down in a corner. He's not eating now. We'll try giving him peas one more time but I think the end is near:scry:

VoidParadigm
12-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Sorry to hear that. :scry: On the bright side the other one is still healing, yes?

labnjab
12-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Sorry to hear that. :scry: On the bright side the other one is still healing, yes?

The other one is doing great. Another few days and you won't be able to notice the scrape. I ran out of malifix today but I don't think I need anymore

labnjab
12-03-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm glad I gave him one more day. Today he spent much of the day on the bottom breathing hard, but he was uprightthumbs2: We just fed the tank and he dove for the food and ate a few pieces. Now he's sitting on the bottom again and upright. Hopefully it was a trapped air bubble that's working its way out. I thing he's gonna be ok, or at least he's taking a step in the right direction. At least now he's not upside down anymore. I'll keep you posted on his status

And the little black moore is almost 100% healed up. Now our big black moore has a small scratch, but nothing to worry about. I just did a 75% water change last night. Boy they play too rough, lol. They'll never learn

Rue
12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Glad they're both okay now! My guy floated on his back for a long time...probably months if you added it all together...but even then I was surprised at how well he 'recovered'...so it's good you didn't rush to put him down...

labnjab
12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
The little black moore is doing great. He injured himself again in the same spot about the time of my last post but now its just about healed again. After we finish switching our reef were gonna work on getting some finer sand and improve the overall look of the goldfish tank. We have a large pressue filter we want to hook up as well as a cascade 1500

The oranda on the other hand, isn't doing so hot. We finally found out whats wrong with him. He's got dropsy probably from kidney failure. Last night he swelled up like a pine cone and its getting worse so were putting him down tonight.

Rue
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
So sorry! :scry: :scry: :scry:

labnjab
12-12-2009, 02:59 AM
We put him down last night. He was getting much worse. His eyes were starting to bulge out:scry:

On the upside, you can hardly tell that the little black moore was even injuredthumbs2:

Deleted User
12-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I am sorry about your oranda, but happy the black moor is doing well!

metro_racer
02-12-2010, 01:39 AM
dont worry to much about it mine did almost the same thing just a smaller scratch and he was completly healed about a week later.