PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Bolivian and German Rams

Poseidon
11-25-2009, 04:01 AM
What are the differences between the German ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and the Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) as far as behavior and tankmates go? I've got a 20 gallon with 6 neon tetra I want to put them in, but do not know much about either species.

Thanks, Poseidon

rich311k
11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Blue rams are smaller, more delicate and like warmer water.

Northernguy
11-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Bolivians are larger and less colorful.
Great for community tanks.A very gentle fish.
They don't even chase my guppy fry!

Jacko
11-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Bolivians are a bit larger and more earthy toned, they still look awesome just in a different way than GBR.

IME, bolivians are alot more personable than GBR, more fun to watch interact with each other and their environment...

Lab_Rat
11-30-2009, 02:55 AM
The GBR are much more sensitive to water conditions, needing almost discus-like water and preferring warmer temperatures. They are gorgeously colored but have become overbred and are often hormoned up to get those colors on immature fish. Avoid buying ones from Asia, if you can find a local source you are much better off.

The bolivians are hardier and more tolerant to water conditions. They still need pristine water but they accept higher pH and hardness than the typical GBR. They also have a cooler temp preference. I think the bolivians are just as attractive as the GBR but not quite as flashy. They are not as popular therefore not as overbred. I prefer them over GBR.