PDA

View Full Version : should i shell out for a chiller?

bigbad-ratman
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
so my 75 gal goldfish tank is sitting at 80 degrees right now...the exact same temp that my heated tanks are at. i have a hob filter and fluval canister (believe a 405), dont know how much mechanical heating they are doing, but it seems my tank stays a couple to several degrees higher than my house temp. dont really know how that is possible at this point. but the question stands: should i go ahead and shell out for a chiller for my fat lil fish? they seem healthy, dont seem too active from the higher temp, and are all growing rather nicely. so open to advice!!!thumbs2:

smaug
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Goldys are not the coldwater fish that they are made out to be.The do better in cooler water but do just fine in warm water as well as long as you arent talking much past 85 for any extended period of time.

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Your tank should just be room temp if you have no heater in it. I leave my tank lights on less in the summer and turn a fan on the tank during hot spells. Perhaps your lights are warming it up.

bigbad-ratman
11-25-2009, 12:32 AM
didnt think of that. prolly it right there. or at least adding to it. thanks LH!!

Northernguy
11-25-2009, 12:34 AM
lol Move North!
I find my lights really heat up the smaller tanks.