PDA

View Full Version : Calico Fantail with badly wounded tail and anal fins

keesh5
11-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi again

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have this calcio fantail that was bought from a huge fish wholesaler. Anyway I have had him for over a week now and he eats and swims but he has a red streak on one of his anal fins, a slight growth over his mouth and a wounded tail with cotton will like growth.

I have isolated him now and I am treating him with Tetra Goldmed, can any one give me any further advice on this fish. I unfortunately purchased him in this condition.

robnepper
11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Oops! Just keep up on the water changes. He sounds like he might be in a bad way.

keesh5
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
how long should i keep him isolated for??? how long should I use the goldmed for?

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I've never heard of that medication but follow the directions and make sure charcoal has been removed from your filter. It doesn't generally take long for fungus to clear up and when it does, good clean water will help to grow his fins back with little problem. Is this medication for bacterial infections, as well? Sounds like this is also a problem.

jay2487
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Are there little white salt looking spots anywhere on it? Do the wounds on the lips look like white growths? It sounds like a few of my fish after a ich battle I just waged. The red lines in the fins occured in my pictus from the medication eating his skin. The tails and fins looked chewed on for a while after the ich was gone. But it didn't take long to grow them back.

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm not familiar with the medicine you're using, but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to be using.

If the fish were mine, since it's what I "know", I'd be treating him with pimafix and melafix and doing frequent water changes.

I'm happy you got him. I doubt he had a chance where he was before.

Good luck!