PDA

View Full Version : Please help with saltwater anemone

GeneralGoldeneye
11-24-2009, 12:34 AM
I am new with anemones I just got one this last Saturday and it did fine sat & sun but when I came home for lunch today it was flat and deflated like it was dead but I can still see it moving its little tentacles here are a couple pics befor and after.... Is this normal for them to do this or not please help

labnjab
11-24-2009, 02:29 AM
It is normal to deflate on occasion so they take in new seawater but before we count yours as a normal we need to know a few things about your set-up. It shouldn't deflate for more then a few hours. If it stays deflated I would suspect something is wrong

1. How long did you acclimate it and with what method
2. How large is your tank, how long as it been running and how much live rock do you have?
3. What is your lighting?

GeneralGoldeneye
11-24-2009, 02:39 AM
It is normal to deflate on occasion so they take in new seawater but before we count yours as a normal we need to know a few things about your set-up. It shouldn't deflate for more then a few hours. If it stays deflated I would suspect something is wrong

1. How long did you acclimate it and with what method
2. How large is your tank, how long as it been running and how much live rock do you have?
3. What is your lighting?

1. I acclimated it like I do my fish.... Let it float in the water for a while then add little my tank water and so on like anybody should
2. My tank is a 75 Gal with a 30 Gal sump and its been running a good 9 months now and I have 50lbs live rock and I just added another 12 lbs of dry rock the same day I got him
3. I have a T5 HO Marine Reef Aquarium Light 216W 4 Bulbs

It has inflated back up some but its not as full as it was the day I got it... I have tried to feed it the past 3 days and it will not take the shrimp from me also do they like to have a constant water movement over them or do they like calm water?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-24-2009, 02:41 AM
First problem i see is with your acclimation process. Invertebrates must be acclimated over a longer period of time than fish. For anemones especially, you should use the drip method of acclimation and acclimate them over a period of 1-2 hours.

What are your nitrate levels?

GeneralGoldeneye
11-24-2009, 02:46 AM
First problem i see is with your acclimation process. Invertebrates must be acclimated over a longer period of time than fish. For anemones especially, you should use the drip method of acclimation and acclimate them over a period of 1-2 hours.

What are your nitrate levels?

Nitrates are 0

labnjab
11-24-2009, 02:48 AM
They will move if they don't like the flow. Mine is dead center in the tank and gets flow from both powerheads, and I would say its moderate flow

GeneralGoldeneye
11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Is it normal for them not to eat for a few days once in a new tank and environment. I try to give it shrimp and it just deflates the tentacle i touch it with