PDA

View Full Version : White cloud with something like fish TB?

Niku-M
04-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay, I thought for a few days that maybe this fish was something like a loner. But now I'm really worried. She just stays round one of my plants really rarely goes swimming with the group and is smaller and much less colored then my other fish.

It also swims a bit different from my other fish, just weak spurts.

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
We have been lucky enough or unlucky enough to run into fish TB twice in the past two months. In all of our cases we saw noticeable skeletal deformities.

Provided is a link to one of our threads, that shows a picture of one of our fish with TB.

http://http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5416

Honestly, if you suspect that it's TB, the best thing to do is euthinize the fish. If you're not please post a picture of said fish, which will allow us to better diagnosis the fish.

Your current symptoms could be a result of simple stress as a result of her recent addition to your tank.

Niku-M
04-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your post, I've changed the title because I don't think it's actually TB. She doesn't seem to have any physical deformity, but her behavior is just different from the other fish. But this is the only sign of stress that I can notice, besides the 'hanging'.. she has no clamped fins or heavy breathing.. and her colors haven't faded (they are somewhat less then the others, but still ok). Also, she does eat (although not nearly as much as the others, they 'hunt' the food, this morning she didn't eat anything.).

I tried to get a picture of her but it's so hard to get a good picture with such thick glass :(. In this picture you can see very well what she does when she's hanging, she just hangs her tail downward a bit, but it doesn't look like it's anything with her spine.

If it turns out to be just stress, what can I do to make her feel more comfortable?

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 09:23 AM
She may also be a bit intiminated by the others. Perhaps this fish is a female and the others are males. As long as she looks fine, she probably is fine.

Niku-M
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I am sure one of the others is female, but there's a lot of breeding behavior going around right now so maybe it's intimidated by that.

But it has become even more lethargic and just doesn't swim well anymore, it clamps its tail together when trying to swim, it really doesn't look good, but there aren't enough symptoms for me to figure out what this is :(

hungryhound
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I am sure one of the others is female, but there's a lot of breeding behavior going around right now so maybe it's intimidated by that.

But it has become even more lethargic and just doesn't swim well anymore, it clamps its tail together when trying to swim, it really doesn't look good, but there aren't enough symptoms for me to figure out what this is :(

Can you define "Clamps its tail together when it swims." Do you mean the caudal fin looks more like a point than a fan.

here is another thread to check out.
Kimmers response to someone asking about a clamped tail (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5076&highlight=clamped+fins)

What are your water parameters, as this one fish might be more Susceptible to an out of balance in your tank?

Niku-M
04-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Yes, my fish doesn't have any visible deformities in it's spine. With the clamping I mean that when she tries to swim, with every spurt she clamps the caudal fin. She does seem to do this less today, however.

Yesterday I put the sickly fish in a very large fishbowl with some plants and put it away in a more shaded spot. While getting some tank water in the bowl one of my fish swam up the tube I was siphoning water with, which got totally stressed out but all my fish are so small so I doubt she did get any damage from this.

After all this the one fish seems to be better today actually, although she still didn't respond to food. The other fish were extremely afraid and jumpy this morning but seem to somewhat be better now. They also have all eaten a bit.

I'll just see what happens, I hope the other fish will go back to how they used to be.

Niku-M
04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
All this couldn't have come at a worse time, I'm really busy at the moment. I was able to to measure my water just now and it seems to be fine:

ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: about 10

The one fish I quarantined has not gotten worse since Monday, she seems to be doing better and is swimming around more more active (opposed to not swimming around at all). Since she hasn't died or anything I suppose it's either extreme stress or a not so severe illness. My other fish are still really stressed, they hide around my plants or swim around the surface really close together. They fly around my tank if I disturb them in any way. I'm just confused what causes their huge stress (as opposed to how they were in the beginning, this is a huge change).

I just don't know what to do about their stress, there doens't seem to be anything wrong with my water and my shrimp certainly are not doing anything different. Would bringing the quarantined fish back make them feel more secure?

cocoa_pleco
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
thats weird.

My white clouds in the 20g heavily planted arent really schoolers, but sometimes go on their own.