PDA

View Full Version : Catching koi in the wild??

tetra
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Whats the best way to catch wild koi with out hurting them? I heard a rumor today of a small pond that someone dumped koi in and they took over. I think the pond is roughly 20-24 feet squared and is only about 6 feet deep. Someone told me if i went there at night with a bright light they will come to the surface.
If there is koi in the pond it would be neat for them to some how end up in the fish pond in my garden :p

Maestro
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
How large is your pond? Koi can grow to be little cows of the years, and should have at least 1,000 gallons, and 500 per additional Koi.

rich311k
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Be sure the pond is not on private property. that would be trespassing and theft. if it is and the owner does not care maybe you can get premission to catch them.

Northernguy
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Watch an old guy be sitting in the bushes with a shot gun loaded with rock salt! lol:hmm3grin2orange:
Never take without asking!

smaug
11-23-2009, 09:49 PM
If that was my pond you would be fish food
:jaws:

tetra
11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
The land is wooded area that is sold to a developer. I contacted the city. The pond will actualy be burried over. I checked all that as well because koi seem to be quite expensive around here. The lfs had 2 that were little over the foot mark with a 600-700 dallar price range stuck to them.

My pond is roughly 4 feet deep 6 feet wide and 10 feet long( Well its my parents but same thing) Theres 1 koi 1 buterfly koi and 3 cold fish in it now. I was thinking if i could catch some small koi i could replace the gold fish and sell a few to the lfs store to help found my 60 gallon. Plus i know a few others who would be intrested in some koi for there ponds.

I am more intrested to see if they are even there before taking any. I didnt think they would be able to survive on there own or handle our cold wether. Plus its only a rumor and im kinda excited about it.

Algenco
11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
cast net, seine, or hook

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 03:25 AM
The land is wooded area that is sold to a developer. I contacted the city. The pond will actualy be burried over.
I hope you are able to get the fish out. It sounds like they don't have a bright (or long) future if not. However, here, if the property has been sold to a developer, then that person or corporation is the owner and where the permission must come from. Not the city.

Good luck. I hope you get them!

tetra
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I drove by today, Seen some people cutting down trees and got the number to the developer. Just no answer.

Jill i know... I contacted to the city to see who owned the land. The city couldnt give me the name of the developer for some unknown reason. If he says no then thats all i go do. Its worth checking it out.

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes it is. Good luck tracking down the developer and catching those fish! I hope you are able to pull it off.

smaug
11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Yup,they would be rather easy to catch with a net.Hook and line would do too but would likely cause lots of damage.I suppose that would be better then just being buried alive though.Good luck,send some pics.

Algenco
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
barbless hooks would result in very minor damage

smaug
11-24-2009, 11:37 PM
barbless hooks would result in very minor damage
Carp tend to swallow hooks,unless the fisherman is very fast with the hook set.The use of a circle hook would help alot.

Piscine
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Go rent a dirty water pump from an equipment rental place, pump some of the pond water into whatever container you intend to use, then pump the pond dry. You won't leave any fish behind, and you won't be fishing for a week trying to catch them.

Just make sure there's a strainer on the pump intake, or you could end up with koi milkshake.

ippielb
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
The developer wont just put dirt in the pond, that won't settle the ground. he'll have to pump the water out i would think to do it right. Unless he just wants it done, in that case he'll just dump dirty in it.

annageckos
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
This post is from last year.