PDA

View Full Version : where are my ghost shrimp

rookie
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
ok i have not ruled out they were dinner but in the past month i bought 40 ghost shrimp and i never see them except for feeding i see like five or so. are they just hiding or were they a meal. the only reason that i think they didnt get eatin is that when they come out to feed noone bothers them. is there a way to be able to see them more. should i get more or is it a lost cause.

Northernguy
11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I am betting on the angels having a snack!

jaysee
11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I am betting on the angels having a snack!

Yup. They can hide really well, though, so you may have more than you think.

tetra
11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
or maybe the bristle nose, I heard rumors that they may snack on them but its unlikely

rookie
11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
if it is the angel it would only be one of them because the other angel is still very small. but just judging by the size of the shrimp and my larger angels mouth i think he might have a hard time eating something that big. should i get more shrimp or just accept that they are not a good fit for my tank because no mater how many i get i wont see them often

Lab_Rat
11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
You'd be amazed at how big a fish mouth can open to eat something delicious. Not sure how big your angels are, but even my smallest nic (1.5") can dispatch a large ghost shrimp in no time. They are also good hiders, like mentioned before. For my planted tank, I just dump in a dozen whenever I don't see any more of them.

Amazon
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
they were a meal I bet. I had 1.5 in. fish eat like 3 of them before.

rookie
11-23-2009, 06:03 PM
if thats the case the big guy ate them. here is a pic of both of them last month as i was floating the new angel
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss105/exselvelezjr/3c69e872.jpg

HomaridNoob6
11-24-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't even need anything to show perspective for its size, I can guarantee you that larger angel would have no problem taking out ghosties. While they are great hiders if you dumped in 40 and only see 5 or so at feeding time but do actually see them, many have become a snack. They probably aren't being bothered during feeding or right after because the fish are going after the easier food your feeding them. I'm sure there are a few more left than you see, but...

The angel doesn't necessarily need to be able to swallow them whole, it can just injure them and pick them apart at its leisure. As long as ghost shrimp are cheaply available to you I would keep adding more. Also you could start breeding them in a small separate tank, and add as you like. To my knowledge and experience they make great feeders. And they are about the easiest thing around aside from snails to breed(basically you do nothing and they propogate like crazy). My ghost shrimp breeding tank cost me less than 20$ to set up, its small and I can move it anywhere easily, I enjoy watching it, and it's basically paid for itself in feeders and shrimp I have sold on craigslist at times real cheap 10/1$ or 25c each. start with 20 or so, some java moss and a small bubble filter and you'll have more than you can handle in no time! Just be careful doing WC's on their tank, I've lost a lot that way.

annageckos
12-12-2009, 11:11 PM
My guess, some are hiding, some got eaten. That angle looks like it would have no trouble eating ghost shrimp. As far a breeding ghost shimp, it may or may not be easy and practical. It depends on what type of ghosties you have. There are multible species called 'ghost shrimp'. It is a common name placed on any clear feeder type shrimp. Some are pure freshwater, some brackish. Some need salt or brackish water for thier larveal stage. I have gotten different types of ghosties from the same store at the same time. You can always try and see what happens.

Good luck

Sarkazmo
12-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Ghosts are typically sold as feeders and are usually very poorly cared for as they're just going to get eaten... I got 20 one day, 2 were dead by the time I got home (about 15 mins.) Two days later I had like 5 left. Two to three survived for about a month and a half or so. Now they're all gone. When they turn white you can be assured that they'll die within a few days. The most aggressive fish with them were female Betta. I know that several got eaten but I think it was a postmortem snack sorta situation instead of predation. I really don't know what's required to get a good stable population of Ghosts. I have no such trouble with Red Cherry Shrimp. I've got a tank full of them.

Sark

xximanoobxx
12-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Since ghost shrimps are feeder shrimps pretty much, their survival rate in the aquarium is low because they;re not treated nicely at LFS or the place where the LFS buys them in the first place...

sheamurai
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I have ghosts in my 77gal, and I see some all the time. I kept adding them until I could see them, and I think I have about 20 in there now. So if you've added 40, and aren't seeing any, fer sure you've lost some. At feeding time I can always see 10 or more.
Thanks for that thought on breeding ghosties, lobsternoob...I might just try that in my 6gal eclipse when it becomes available...I'd love to feed some shrimp to my cichlid tank...if they're really that easy...