PDA

View Full Version : clown Vs. Rubber Lip

Pele
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I've been looking to get a small, algea eating pleco for my 46 gallon aquarium. Its a tropical community with small fish, that has some wierd brown algea growing on it.
My choices have come down to a rubber lip pleco (7 inches max, eats mainly algea, not sure about wood, not sure about wast) and a clown pleco (4 inches max, eats some algea but mainly plants, eats wood, high wast).
Which one would be better for my aquarium?

rich311k
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Either woud work a bristle nose might be a better choice.

Crispy
11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd get a clown.

Pele
11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Why would you get a clown?
Also, where do you guys buy fish online? I've been looking for a butterfly pleco, which I assume would be the best because they are the prettiest, eat the most algea, and are small

Crispy
11-22-2009, 11:50 PM
I just like the looks of the clown plecos better.. thats all.

dmagerl
11-23-2009, 12:37 AM
My experience is that Clowns dont eat much algae and you never see them. A bristlenose would be better and be more visible.

Pele
11-23-2009, 12:39 AM
do bushynoses eat algae?
So, now I guess its down to clowns and bushys.
The thing is, i like the look of clowns more (bushys just look ugly, i think) but a Bushy seems more practical

rich311k
11-23-2009, 12:41 AM
BNs eat agae, stay small, are fairly active and will breed fairly readily.

Rue
11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Nothing wrong with the rubber-lipped at all! I like them!

I'd get them over the clown too...

Pele
11-23-2009, 12:46 AM
how much waste do the rubber lips produce?
But, basically, all of these plecos would work just as well as the others for the aquarium?
Edit: I just called my lps and they have no clowns or bushys in stock untill summer.
So i guess Ill go for rubber kips
OR....
My lottle brother has a clown pleco in his 10 gallon, overstocked, horrendously cared for fish tank. Maybe I can buy it from him.

Rue
11-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't know how much waste they produce, but they're all very roughly the same size...and all appropriate for a 46 gallon, so I wouldn't worry.

Pele
11-23-2009, 12:55 AM
seven inches seems a little big, but I'll look into it. At this point it all depends on whether my little brother will give me his clown plec.

Sharon
11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Clowns don't eat algae...and you will hardly ever see him. Most days, I wouldn't know if mine is dead or alive, if I didn't know where his hiding spot is!

Pele
11-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Are you sure? What do they eat then? Even if they dont eat algae, They still look cool and the algae eatingness was just a side perk, I can wipe the algae off

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Panaque maccus is a wood rasper. They will rarely touch algae unless it is on the wood they rasp on. Not a good choice as an algae eating fish. "Rubberlip" plecos are excellent algae eaters IME and most species will stay relatively small.

KatzeSlaugen
11-23-2009, 02:29 AM
I have a rubber lip and a clown pleco and my clown pleco is all over the tank at all times of day and since day one of having him he has never ran to hide like my other plecos all have. also they do not eat plants as my tank is moderately to heavily planted and he does not eat them at all. the rubberlip i have is skittish but does a better job at keeping algae off than the clown but seeing as how my tank is positioned algae is never really a a big problem. personally i love the look of clown plecos, but i love how rubberlips remind me of a hippo!

Pele
11-23-2009, 03:13 AM
well, since algae eating was optional, and my LB gave me it for free, I got a clown Pleco.
Ill post pics later