PDA

View Full Version : Shy Oscars

scalone@bellsouth.net
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
It's been 3 months now and still have 4 shy Oscars.
They are in a 75 gal tank.
Spend most of time hiding, come out only when very hungry, then return immediately to hiding.
Have had many Oscars over the years, have never seen this behavior before, any suggestions?

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
4 is really too many for a 75 unless they are still small. That is odd tho that they don't interact more.

Just a tip here. If I were you, I would change my user name instead of using your email addy. You don't want a spammer to get hold of it and drive you nuts with the knowledge.

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I am suprised too. I have heard people call oscars "the dog fish" because they recognize you and interact with you just like a dog would.

Your lighting might be too intense.

scalone@bellsouth.net
04-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Have cut the lighting, the fish are now about 3"long, were about an inch long when I purchasesd them, still plenty of room in the tank.
They eat very well, but immediately retreat into hiding.
Will try removing all they hide behind next.

Rue
04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
When fish are small, regardless of type, they are a prey item...

...it's in their best interest to be shy and hide...

...as a predatory species grows, it should start to come out more on it's own...

I wouldn't force the issue...at 3 inches (out of a possible 16 or so) they're still definately on the 'prey menu'...

BTW...rule of thumb regarding Oscars. Get 1 or get 6...since most people can't house 6, they opt for one. The very min. tank for one is 55g with NO tankmates...75g is a better option. That will permit one Oscar and some dither fish.

You'll need almost triple filtration...best to have at least one good canister and 2 HOBs...and even with that, the pros suggest twice water changes.

Drumachine09
04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
They might have what reptile guy calls "big tank syndrome"

When a decent sized fish is in a small tank, he feels like the "king of the castle" (borat referance...lol). But when a decent sized fish is put in a large tank, he feels like he is there to be food for something that is bigger than him. The just need an adjusting period to realize they are the only fish in the tank.