PDA

View Full Version : new and need advice

CristinaWare
11-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 30 gallon tank for my son that was already partially stocked. It's a two year old tank, and I was able to move it with about a 1/3 of the original water and all the rock, to help reduce cycling time. It came with the 4 cardinal tetras, 5 glofish, 1 neon tetra, 1 black molly, and 1 common goldfish. I want to establish a community tank(although I'm not crazy about keeping the goldfish) and I don't want to overstock the tank. I'm thinking about getting 6 more neons, 2 or 3 more mollies, and my son wants 3 more glofish. I would also like a cory cat or oto cat, or a ghost shrimp, once we have the others safely aclimated to the tank. I don't want to buy them now, but in 3 weeks, right before Christmas, after the tank has had a chance to replenish the bacteria that was removed before the move. I really need advice on how many, what kind, that sort of thing. Please help!
:help:

Padams
11-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? You will need one.

I would re-home the gold. IMO it will produce too much waste coupled with you could have a more diverse community without it.

The rest looks pretty good but I am no expert on the "schooling" of the tetras but I think they will school even if they are not exactly the same species. (just wait and we'll be told how wrong I am :ssuprised: )

I would add a couple of ottos and maybe some shrimp. Keep in mind the GS are not the most long lasting animals ever made. I started w/ 6 3 months ago and now have 3. Just the nature of them.

CristinaWare
11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna give the goldfish to a friend. And I got the tank, stand, lid/light, a 55 gal. filter, 200 watt heater, 2 in. gravel, plants, air pump with tubing and clamshell decoration, suction tube, scrubber, food, Test kits, extra filters, net and water conditioner all for $100. The couple was moving and couldn't keep the tank, and it was in great condition. The only thing I need is a cave or some other decoration, to give them a place to hide.

They're not schooling though, the previous owner said they didn't before either. All but the molly have been together for over a year, so I'm still leaning towards a few more neons/cardinals and mollies to help. The glofish and neons seem to be all over the tank, never together. I'm not used to a community tank, the only tank I ever had was a goldfish only 20 gallon about 7 yrs ago but I had to get rid of it when I moved. I've done alot of research, but I'm still having problems figuring how many to a tank with these kinds of fish. My son has fibromyalgia and is really sensitive, so the last thing I need is any of these fish getting sick or dying. Anybody got any advice? :ssmile:

Rue
11-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Fish do die...esp. in newly set up tanks. Do prepare your son for that.

Otherwise I'd leave it to settle with the fish you already have. Test the water in a few weeks to see what your parametres are. If it's stable - you can get more fish, and that will give you time to do some more research as to what type you'd like.

As far as tanks go, a 30g isn't huge - so you can't have too many fish in it. Most experts recommend a min. of 6 for schooling fish...but 8-10 might encourage them to school more.

If you like the neons, get more of those. Let the glofish and/or tetras die off if you don't like them (naturally - no need to remove them if they're healthy). If you then get 3 mollies (or swordtails if you like those as an option) of the same sex for a bit of colour and 6 corys on the bottom (they also school) you'll be stocked.

CristinaWare
11-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm gonna keep the molly, but Im going to get 3 zebra danios so they'll school with the glofish and 3 neons too. Will 3 oto cats be happy by themselves, my son doesn't want to get rid of the glofish and I didn't want to add too many otos on top of the the extra fish. He was wanting some otos and a ghost shrimp but I didn't think two kinds of bottom feeders were a good idea.

Also, does anyone know if otos need algae wafers, or how often? This tank is very clean, and I don't want to encourage any algae growth. Just want to make sure they don't go to waste or aren't eaten.

CristinaWare
11-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh, he knows there's gonna be some dead ones now and then, though hopefully not too often. I just don't want to lose a tankfull to a stupid beginners mistake!

Lab_Rat
11-23-2009, 01:29 AM
I would wait til your tank has a good bit of algae before getting otos. They're sensitive little fish so you'll want to make sure the tank is quite stable before adding them.

Lolita
11-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Instead of otos, you might want to try a small cory. Panda cories or dwarf cories would both work in your tank, and they're fun and have lots of personality. They're also bottom feeders so they'll help clean up extra food on the bottom of the tank, though you'll also need to give them sinking food.

bushwhacker
11-23-2009, 03:05 AM
my only real concern is you rehome the goldie, then you can up the schools on the tetras