PDA

View Full Version : oscar Please Help!!

tdeloye
04-15-2007, 09:32 AM
i recently moved my oscar he had some type of bacteria on his fins the fish store told me to use tetracycline so i did and it killed the placostomas and almost killed my oscar i had to drain the tank twice, ever since then he hasnt been right. He floats around like he is in a daze sometimes swimming on his side until i snap him out of it. the tank is still not right it turns a greenish hazy color. can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my oscar and if there is anything i can do to help him PLEASE!?:help:

TracyUK
04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Have you tested the water? If so, what are the readings?

Fishguy2727
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Tetracycline would only have killed them if you overdosed. Most likely it is some serious water quality issues, even if it doesn't show up on the tests. What size tank? What filtration? What water change schedule?

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
i recently moved my oscar he had some type of bacteria on his fins the fish store told me to use tetracycline so i did and it killed the placostomas and almost killed my oscar i had to drain the tank twice, ever since then he hasnt been right. He floats around like he is in a daze sometimes swimming on his side until i snap him out of it. the tank is still not right it turns a greenish hazy color. can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my oscar and if there is anything i can do to help him PLEASE!?:help:

It almost sounds as you lost your cycle if you get a haze to the water. You need to test your water for ammonia, I believe. Perhaps you did too many water changes, cleaning and changing of the filter all at once?

tdeloye
04-15-2007, 03:29 PM
yes i have tested water the ph, nitrate, nitrite, amnonia, its all fine, besides the hazey water. i do water changes at least once a week at the least because it is so hazey i did a 80% water change the other day the tank is 100 gallons and i put the amount of tetracycline that it said to on the package

tdeloye
04-16-2007, 04:19 AM
is this all the advice anyone has

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Guess we are as stumped as you are as to the cause. Did you do a water change before giving the second dose of the med? I think with most meds it says to change 25% before re-dosing.

Sorry you haven't gotten the answers you were looking for but we offered up the best guesses we could.

TracyUK
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
You say your water tests are all ok, but can you post what they are? Also, whats the set up exactly?

Juannie
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
When you are doing the water changes, have you tested the water you're putting in? Mine has changed suddenly from a pH of 7 to way up over 8. My tank gets a bit unclear when the temp gets a bit high (whcih is normal here on the Gold Coast) so I have to watch that as well.

Coler
05-06-2007, 12:42 PM
post your actual readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

Describe your set-up; filtration, aeration, inhabitants.

How long is it running ?

How do you d water changes and how much weekly ?

crackatinny
05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't know if this will help, but a week after I set up my 120G, it went cloudy, I treated it with a product called bio super concentrate, and it was clear within 24hrs.

2manyfish
05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
i recently moved my oscar he had some type of bacteria on his fins the fish store told me to use tetracycline so i did and it killed the placostomas and almost killed my oscar i had to drain the tank twice, ever since then he hasnt been right. He floats around like he is in a daze sometimes swimming on his side until i snap him out of it. the tank is still not right it turns a greenish hazy color. can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my oscar and if there is anything i can do to help him PLEASE!?

Sorry to hear about your fish!!!

It would be very helpful to have the actual numbers on your readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. That way we can get a better idea of where the tank is at.
You said you recently moved your oscar. Moved him from where?
When you dosed the tank with the tetracycline, did you take into account that gravel and decorations displace a certain amount of water? (ie: in my 75g saltwater tank, I would bet that the actual volumn of water is closer to 50g's because of the rocks...)
Not much you can do for a fish that has already been damaged for whatever reason. The best I can offer you is to keep up with the water changes and run carbon in your filter.
The water turning greenish is not a bacterial bloom but rather free floating algae. This can be a real pest to get rid of. Make sure that no direct sunlight falls on the tank. Do not overfeed. Cut back on the tank lighting to 6 hours a day or less (if you can). If all else fails then you might need to invest in a UV sterilizer.

Good luck with your fish!!