PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank overstocked??

TC713
11-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a planted 20 long that consists of:
7 neons, 2 sunburst platys, 2 panda platys, 3 black tetras, and a cory.

I really wanted to pick up another cory, and another pair of small fish I saw at my LFS but I feel as though i'm at my limit.

Thoughts?

bigbad-ratman
11-21-2009, 03:19 PM
if you are gonna keep corys, they are normally happier in schools of at least 6. you might be pushing it if you bulked out the corys but if you keep track of paramters and do weekly water changes you should be fine.

Amazon
11-21-2009, 03:20 PM
one cory will not be happy. they need a school of at least 5. I would either get 5 more corys or get rid of your cory and get somethin else. Also do you know what those small fish are. Never buy a fish if you didnt research about it, much less even know it's name.

smaug
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
As everyone else stated.Get 3-4 more corys.Dont stock anything else after that,it will be fine.

TC713
11-21-2009, 03:55 PM
one cory will not be happy. they need a school of at least 5. I would either get 5 more corys or get rid of your cory and get somethin else. Also do you know what those small fish are. Never buy a fish if you didnt research about it, much less even know it's name.

As much as I appreciate attitude, i'm just starting out and the name escaped me at this moment.

I was really just trying to get a general feel on quantity. But thanks.

Deleted User
11-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I concur -- treat yourself to some more corys thumbs2: You'll be surprised at how much more entertaining they become when they have a group of friends thumbs2:

TC713
11-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Ok, will do. It is just the cutest thing......having a few more would be a pleasure.

Deleted User
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok, will do. It is just the cutest thing......having a few more would be a pleasure.
They are so cute! I love how it looks like they wink at you sometimes :1luvu:

Lab_Rat
11-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree that your cory needs to be in a school of 6+, as do the black tetras (not sure what they are). The best way to deal with this is to take either the cory or the tetras back and fill out the school of the one you decide to keep.

jaysee
11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a planted 20 long that consists of:
7 neons, 2 sunburst platys, 2 panda platys, 3 black tetras, and a cory.

I really wanted to pick up another cory, and another pair of small fish I saw at my LFS but I feel as though i'm at my limit.

Thoughts?

If it were my tank that I just inherited, I'd take back the 3 black tetras for 3 more neons. A 20L is nice because it's long, but it's still not a very big tank. I would stick to just one school of tetras and get 5-6 more corys. I would also get a dwarf gourami, which would finish your tank. This setup would require excellent filtration and weekly water changes.