PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions for Betta

milindsaraswala
11-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I have 8 Gallon only Betta male fish, 100 watt heater,120 L/H filter and air blubber

Actually 2 days before when i check my tank water was looking somewhat brown. So I test water parameter and I found that 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and more than 10 nitrate. So I make 80% water change same time. Next day when I see the water was very less brown than check again for nitrate it was near 5. So I again water change for 40%.

So now I wanted to did I do right thing and what is the reason for this.

Next thing lot of time I see like very small spider net type in my water is by my betta fish and it is by betta fish than it bad or good. Another thing my betta fish sometimes sleep on my internal filter or else sleep on my heater stand why is it so ??

I also wanted to clean down surface of my tank without making problem to my gravel.

Sorry lot of question in one topic only

Deleted User
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Does your tap water itself contain nitrates?

Are you cleaning the gravel? You need to vacuum it / clean it because the wastes there contribute to nitrates in the water.

About the spider web, I do not know... Could it be a bubble nest the betta built? Or is it actually a spiderweb? I cannot picture what it is you are describing.

As to him sleeping on the filter or heater, that's normal. Ours do it, too. If he doesn't have plants (silk or real) to rest on, you should probably provide him with some -- but even with, they just like to lay about on things :)

Wild Turkey
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
5 or 10ppm nitrates is fine. The ammonia and nitrite being at zero is whats important. More nitratres will contrbiute to algae, but they wont be a problem for the fish until quite a bit more, say 30, 40ppm . Nitrates are always rising in healthy but unplanted or lightly planted tanks. Weekly waterchanges to reduce to them to acceptable amounts.