PDA

View Full Version : My most annoying tank!

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I have 3-55 gallon planted tanks. Two of them have a Fluval 305 + an AquaClear 110 filter and are crystal clear always.

My problem tank is the 3rd tank that is just community fish and has two Aqua Clear 110's. It is constantly cloudy, never looks clean and I hate it. I am constantly removing the sponges in the filters to clean them, have added floss to both filters and still the tank looks like heck.

I just bought these two AquaClears for this tank and now am thinking I will have to get a canister instead. I actually thought I was done buying filters for a while. grrrrr

Northernguy
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Are you sure its the filters Hobbs?
I'm just asking because that is a fair amount of filtration for a 55.

Scrup
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Have you tried using felt?

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I guess I will move one of the canisters to this tank and if it clears up, I'll know what the problem is. I have a feeling the AC's flow is keeping the substrate stirred up too much, altho I have them both now set on "low" flow. (Which made no difference.)

I have not tried the felt. I thought the floss would help.

Red
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Hobbs, i have the same problem on my 75 with two 110s. The tank just does not clean like my other tanks with canisters on it. The AC's are just not as good as a canister. The more I use the 110s the more crap that happens with them.

Lolita
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
This is actually a good thread for me to have seen! I have an AC110 and an AC50 waiting for my 55, and Rob was just telling me yesterday not to bother with them and to get a Rena for it. I guess I'm definately sold now!

Taurus
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Going with a canister is a wise decision for a 55g Lo. You could supplement with the either AC, but if you haven't spent the money yet, go with a canister first.

Lolita
11-20-2009, 04:22 PM
The AC came free with the tank, so it's no biggie. I'll buy the canister with the money I didn't have to spend on the tank itself lol then I'll still use my 50 to cycle the tank.

Taurus
11-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The AC is a good supplement to a canister. I'm of the opinion that any tank bigger than a 29g needs a canister on it. Knowing what I do now, I should have put a smaller canister on my 29g. The filtering is so much more efficient and flexible with a canister.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&prodid=6136&catid=113

rich311k
11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I have cannisters on all the tanks but the tens. I would not do it any other way.

Lolita
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
The AC is a good supplement to a canister. I'm of the opinion that any tank bigger than a 29g needs a canister on it. Knowing what I do now, I should have put a smaller canister on my 29g. The filtering is so much more efficient and flexible with a canister.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602&prodid=6136&catid=113

Ooh 85 dollars isn't a bad price at all! Would the XP2 be enough for a 55 along with a 110?

Taurus
11-20-2009, 04:49 PM
IMHO, yes.

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I think it makes a different in the substrate as well. Larger gravels are fine but when you get into plant substrates, especially those that tend to be lighter, an AC can stir it up pretty well. The down flow is great but not so great if it's blasting away at the plant substrate and keeping it stirred up......which is exactly what I'm thinking is happening here.

I've removed one of the AC's so we'll see if possibly two is causing too much substrate to be moved about. Sure would help if you put them on "low flow" and it actually was lower.

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I have cannisters on all the tanks but the tens. I would not do it any other way.

You got that right and I wish now I'd have added a few bucks and went with another canister. I have been a nut about having two filters running on each tank since the first night I set up my canister, tho. I had the downflow tube too far under water and the fish were not getting enough oxygen. I darned near killed them all. I didn't have enough sense to adjust the tube to where the water was breaking the surface.

Northernguy
11-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I have two ac 50s on my 35 and its the clearest tank I have most of the time.It does have a gravel substrate.
I do think it may be another problem.

MCHRKiller
11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
My SO has a 90G with 2*AC110s....and it looked like crap till the addition of an XP3 was put into place. Tank is crystal clear now and just looks like an entirely different tank. If you use the cheat code you can get a Rena XP2 for 85bucks. I would suggest putting some pre-filters on your AC110s...you can use an AC foam block or they make actual sponge pre-filter inserts for HOBs which are a finer black sponge. That would slow down the circulation from the ACs and offer some more mechanical filtration for your tank as well :22:

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Jenn, thanks! I did just what you suggested. I removed the sponge from the filter I'm no longer using and made a pre-filter from it. It's kinda ugly but will work until I find a black prefilter that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't know why I found this cloudy tank such a mystery. I knew a few weeks ago my AC sponges were clogging up due to the substrate dust these filters were stirring up.

I will definately get another canister. Wish Santa Claus still had me on his gift list.

dragoonwoman
11-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I currently have a Magnum HOB "canister" on my 35, and while it does a good job of keeping the tank clean, it is a royal pain to fit media into.

I would love to upgrade, but the current price at DFS is $156. That's a bit out of my budget.

Taurus
11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Jenn, thanks! I did just what you suggested. I removed the sponge from the filter I'm no longer using and made a pre-filter from it. It's kinda ugly but will work until I find a black prefilter that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't know why I found this cloudy tank such a mystery. I knew a few weeks ago my AC sponges were clogging up due to the substrate dust these filters were stirring up.

I will definately get another canister. Wish Santa Claus still had me on his gift list.

Sound like to much current and not enough filter. Now you could put two sponges inside the AC110 and well as the prefilter.

Crispy
11-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Hmmm.... AquaClear is getting some bad rep here...lol.. I ran 2 AC110s on my 130g for 15 years with no problems. My tank was also overstocked. Never any plants or plant substrate though (with twice weekly vacuuming/water changes). I still use 2 AC110s on my 190 and I love 'em. A friend of mine uses a single AC110 on his 55, and his water always looks great too (but again, no plants and larger size gravel)... anyways, just thought I'd stick up for AC a bit. :fish:

Taurus
11-20-2009, 08:44 PM
I use gravel in both my tanks and have no issues with the ACs. My water is very clear.

Wild Turkey
11-20-2009, 08:54 PM
I still dont use any canister filters, and all my tanks are crystal.

I think you may be right about them stirring up the substrate, since that is a good bit of filtration for the tank that would be my guess. But of course, that wouldnt have anything to do with its ability to filter, buying a canister when the problem is too much flow makes about as much sense as buying a smaller engine to go slower in your car IMHO, excuse the bad metaphor lol

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm not complaining about my AC's. They kept my gravel tank very clear. But then, I haven't been talking about a gravel tank. A planted tank is a whole nuther ballgame.

Taurus
11-21-2009, 06:22 PM
The return flow from a canister can be directed in just about any direction if you choose that option with a canister. And they are much more efficient because the canister will hold much more media than a HOB. You get maximum flexibility and control with a canister.