PDA

View Full Version : JD Growing too Fast?

AquaQueen
04-15-2007, 04:47 AM
OK Looking threw pictures yesterday I noticed that Jackie who is my baby Jack Dempsy that I bought back in December 06 and this other JD(Jack) that I bought months before probably in August(It was deemed Aggressive but has not show any sign well nothing major.) Anyway Jack has not grown much and I just can't believe how fast the Jackie(The Baby) is growing and Jack (the bigger one) has not moved in size and we had the bigger of the two so much longer. Do they slow down the rate of growth after they reach a certain size? Is there something going on with the baby to make him grown so fast? I will show an old pic of Both Jackie and Jack and then new pic.
Pleas tell me what you think. Is everything fine? Or am I over-reacting?

Old Pic Taken back in December 06 (Jack in the back Jackie in the front)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Boo222_photos/JackintheBackJackieourBabyDempsy.jpg

New pic Taken yesterday(Jack on the bottom & Jackie on top)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Boo222_photos/JackJackieUpdate4-13-07.jpg

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 04:50 AM
SOMEONE had a UGF, lol!

Sorry, cant help about the jacks, but they are neat looking!

AquaQueen
04-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Yea its still in there too, hubby's tank, he got it like that....I dont have them in my tanks. What's wrong with them? Is that why he has water problems all the time and I don't??

Thanks I love the color in the bigger one. Jackie was cuter when he was smaller..he is still cute but I am sad seeing his lines go away more and more!!

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Yea its still in there too, hubby's tank, he got it like that....I dont have them in my tanks. What's wrong with them? Is that why he has water problems all the time and I don't??

Thanks I love the color in the bigger one. Jackie was cuter when he was smaller..he is still cute but I am sad seeing his lines go away more and more!!

I think they are good filters. People say they are good for a year or two, and then all of the anarobic bacteria or whatever builds up underthem, and i think it kills your fish.

AquaQueen
04-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Well death is not a problem it is just mainly the water needs to be changed and lots of gravel vacs because my fish are pigs and crap a lot...not as bad as the Oscars tho.

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Well death is not a problem it is just mainly the water needs to be changed and lots of gravel vacs because my fish are pigs and crap a lot...not as bad as the Oscars tho.

Ha, pigs and crap alot. Im suprised no one has said "sounds like my husband" or some other "witty" comment...lol

Fishguy2727
04-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Nitrates can stunt growth. That is the problem with UGFs, you end up with old tank syndrome where the nitrates are sky high. What are the nitrate levels in there? The one that has not grown may have been stunted before you got it.

Nautilus291
04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
The ugf is the thing causing you problems with water quality. All of the poo and food and anything else that the ugf picks up just stays under that plate and then your left with a half an inch layer of crap under your stones. Thats why when your hubby does water changes he gets so much crap becuase it just stays under the ugf untill you sturr it up.

If I where you I would change that ugf but when you do put those jacks in another tank becuase you will have stuff floating all over the place. You will probibly have to do a 75% water change just to clean it out.

I had one in my 10g and all it did was cause my problems so When I took it out I had to change most of my water to clear it up. Luckily I had a hob on the tank to so my tank didnt recycle.

Nautilus291
04-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh and for your jacks maybe your little one is growing so fast to catch up with the bigger one. ANd babys usually do grow faster and then as they reach adulthood the slow down.

AquaQueen
04-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Nitrates can stunt growth. That is the problem with UGFs, you end up with old tank syndrome where the nitrates are sky high. What are the nitrate levels in there? The one that has not grown may have been stunted before you got it.

OK that makes sense if my first JD may have been stunted before we got it and that is why it has not grown at all. My baby JD has and still is growing so there is no problem there. As far as the water goes it has been great ever since we moved the Oscars into the 60gal. The problem in that tank (I think I figured it out) is just that we have to keep the light off all the time because the window behind it lets it too much sunlight and makes the water cloudy. My hubby does have to Vac. the gravel in that tank alot more then the rest of the tanks but it is the only one with the UGF so I see why now. Thanks!

AquaQueen
04-16-2007, 03:58 AM
The ugf is the thing causing you problems with water quality. All of the poo and food and anything else that the ugf picks up just stays under that plate and then your left with a half an inch layer of crap under your stones. Thats why when your hubby does water changes he gets so much crap becuase it just stays under the ugf untill you sturr it up.

If I where you I would change that ugf but when you do put those jacks in another tank becuase you will have stuff floating all over the place. You will probibly have to do a 75% water change just to clean it out.

I had one in my 10g and all it did was cause my problems so When I took it out I had to change most of my water to clear it up. Luckily I had a hob on the tank to so my tank didnt recycle.

This is not make tank so I can't make the decision to take the UGF out it is up to Hubby...I will have him read this thread tho. Thanks Adam

deckard_wa
04-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I think you'll find that your first one is a female and the second is male, which could explain the different growth rates

AquaQueen
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I first thought Jack(the 1st one) was a male but as time goes on, I feel you are right. More so now that I have talked to a few people about them.