PDA

View Full Version : Floating plant suggestions?

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 03:02 AM
As my wife and i look at our tank, the top third of our tank looks bare. I think that our 196 watts of light over our 46 gallon is a little to much for some of the fish. We are thinking about adding some floating plants to shade out some of this and encourage our fish to investigate the top portion of our tank. Pius it might decrease on the algae problems that we are currently facing.

We are trying to put together a list of plants that would be suitable to our aquarium, and would cover roughly a 10 to 15 square inch section of the tank.

We know that we need to stay away from duckweed, as our research seems to confirm that it is more of a weed than a duck.

water lettuce does not excite either of us well.

I think that we are looking for a plant that has large leaves compared to its root structure.

Riccia looks like a dud as well.

Frogbit looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience with it, or can anyone offer any other suggestions?

please no mosses.

Rue
04-15-2007, 03:12 AM
I'm in love with my hornwort...

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion as we did not realize that hornwort was a floating plant. we will keep it in mind.

Rue
04-15-2007, 03:24 AM
It will also root...but is primarily a floating plant...

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 04:27 AM
10-15 sqauare inches is 2.5x2.5 - <4x4 inches. not a whole lot of space in all reality.

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Some of the plants grow so tall they just float on top when the reach that height. Can't believe one of my onions has reached the surface already but you're right in thinking that's a lot of light for some fish.

nanaglen2001
04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Here is a nice swimming plant. Its called Alternathera aquatica (I hope the H is at the rioght place:14: )

Butz there is one thing that is needed, an open tank. Otherwise the plant will just die off. Otherwise the plant is hardy, absolutely undistroyable and jus good looking.

In an open tank it will grow happily and one has lots of presents for other fishkeepers (or you can earn hard cash at your local petstore:hmm3grin2orange: )

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 02:01 PM
10-15 sqauare inches is 2.5x2.5 - <4x4 inches. not a whole lot of space in all reality.

Nice catch Drumachine. I meant to say 10 to 15 inches per side. Really I was thinking a square foot or more. Maybe a third of the tank.

Some of the plants grow so tall they just float on top when the reach that height. Can't believe one of my onions has reached the surface already but you're right in thinking that's a lot of light for some fish.

I understand what you are saying Lady Hobbs, but I would also like to add some more variety to the tank. :ezpi_wink1:

I have the spiral vals that are slowly getting there. They just seem more concerned with making runners than growing tall.

The tiger lotus that I got from aquadise, lost every single leaf that it had in transit, and now only has about 3 leaves the size of a nickel. It is barely hanging on, and I cannot count on it shading the top anytime soon.

But I also wouldn't mind having a floating plant with a few roots hanging down, which might coax them out of their hiding at the back of the tank.

Here is a nice swimming plant. Its called Alternathera aquatica (I hope the H is at the rioght place )

Butz there is one thing that is needed, an open tank. Otherwise the plant will just die off. Otherwise the plant is hardy, absolutely undistroyable and jus good looking.

In an open tank it will grow happily and one has lots of presents for other fishkeepers (or you can earn hard cash at your local petstore )

All I can say is wow. That is one amazing looking plant. Unfourtunately I run into the problem that my tank is covered. I also liked the water hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes), but I run into the same problem.

Everyone, Thanks for the help and suggestions as you have given me more stuff to research and think about.

bettaboy691
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
well frogbit is great IMO, it grows biggish, and large leaves, it has long dangley roots into the water, which can be cut off, ans slows the growing of the plant down, or might be eaten by some fish. it send off runners for new plantlets, and is easy to grow, plonk in and leave. the leaves can be a bit fragile sometimes, so be careful when handling.
hortwort is also good, can be floated or planted, but does best when floating. good for fry to hide in.
another option, if your looking for something different is the banana plant, it has large banana like roots, which need not be planted, and smaller roots than can be, or left to float, it will bob up and down in the current. its leaves are sent to the surface and open, if its planted, the leaves will take longer to reach the surface, if floating, the leaves will reach the surface sooner. it sends out plenty of leaves, and has long "stems" to the leave itself, which can be broken if you try.its hardy usally, and grows well in medium-bright light.

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
well frogbit is great IMO, it grows biggish, and large leaves, it has long dangley roots into the water, which can be cut off, ans slows the growing of the plant down, or might be eaten by some fish. it send off runners for new plantlets, and is easy to grow, plonk in and leave. the leaves can be a bit fragile sometimes, so be careful when handling.

It is nice to see a positive post on frogbit. That is where I am currently leaning and I didn't want to buy it if it got lots of bad reviews.

hortwort is also good, can be floated or planted, but does best when floating. good for fry to hide in.

I am still not sure how I feel about hornwort. to me it looks more like an uprooted plant than one that is designed to grow floating at the surface.

another option, if your looking for something different is the banana plant, it has large banana like roots, which need not be planted, and smaller roots than can be, or left to float, it will bob up and down in the current. its leaves are sent to the surface and open, if its planted, the leaves will take longer to reach the surface, if floating, the leaves will reach the surface sooner. it sends out plenty of leaves, and has long "stems" to the leave itself, which can be broken if you try.its hardy usally, and grows well in medium-bright light.

Sadly I have already been told no on this plant. I think it goes back to the fact that my wife is allergic to banana's and will not have anything to do with them, even if they are not in the plantain family.