PDA

View Full Version : Blood Parrots and Goldies

shalafi04
11-19-2009, 11:41 PM
ok, so the shark has been removed from my goldfish tank, I only have 3 goldies left :/ stupid eye eating shark *sigh* anywho. I got a blood parrot the other day. I put her in with the goldfish, they honestly seem to be getting along great. They swim together and eating is not agressive or anything. she is hardly what I would consider a grumpy fish. but everywhere i go online says they would not get along??? Whats the deal? Is it okay to have them together? Mind you she is about 2.5 times the size of the goldfish so she's not exactly a baby.

Deleted User
11-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Goldfish are cold water fish, the blood parrot is warm water. They should also eat different things. The blood parrot may not be able to do a lot of harm, based on the way his/her mouth is shaped, but it's not a good match imo.

shalafi04
11-19-2009, 11:54 PM
my goldfish are not kept in coldwater. I know the debate about all that... but ya know, to each his own. As far as food, is it not just a matter of watching feedings and insuring that my parrot is eating her food that she needs?

Deleted User
11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Sorry, I thought you were looking for opinions about if they should be together or not.

Scrup
11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
The goldfish water temp debate..oh boy.

It will shorten their lifespan, as the metabolism gets sped up, but it doesn't hurt them.

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
If everywhere you go online states they should not be together, then I would consider the advice valid. My parrots temps are 80 degrees which is about 12 degrees higher than that for goldfish.

Deleted User
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
If everywhere you go online states they should not be together, then I would consider the advice valid. My parrots temps are 80 degrees which is about 12 degrees higher than that for goldfish.
I'd say that's AT LEAST 12 degrees higher than for goldfish. I keep my house really cool in summer and in winter. My goldies are at about 64 degrees. My parrots are around 78-80.

These are such totally different types of fish to try and "force" together and both have very different enviromental needs. It's up to us as fish owners what we force our fish to tolerate, but if the OP honestly want to know if it's "right" to keep the current situation, no, in my opinion, it's not.

Red
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Agreed with Jill, its bad. I keep goldies in 50-70 degree water here (tanks on the screened patio) with a heater just to make sure it doesn't freeze. BP do not do good with goldfish end of story.

shalafi04
11-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I guess the question here is then:

Who will make a good tank mate for a BP. I read they enjoy tetra and cory and other schooling fish. Any input there????

Deleted User
11-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I think those could work well with larger tetras and if the tank is big enough, rainbow cichlids are also supposed to be good tank mates to them.

cer
11-21-2009, 02:38 AM
My friend has raphael catfish, synodontis catfish, plecos, congo tetras, and pacus. ( I don't there are many people who have room for pacus) In your 40 gallon you could have the tetras and raphael.

octoxpuss
11-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Well platties and corydoras would be perfect.

Wild Turkey
11-21-2009, 03:05 AM
I agree the first tankmates were no good. most species of corys and tetras are fine but need 6+ to feel secure

But i would like to add a +1 to the common goldfish are fine at tropical temps bandwagon, because ive never seen anything that suggested otherwise.

My goldy is at 75f and hes been doing excellent since the day I brought him home. If you think about it, if they were bred with tropicals then they have been in 78 degree water their entire lives pretty much, including at the petstore.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2009, 02:21 PM
My parrots literally ignore everything I put in with them other than other cichlids. And the problem was not the parrot but the other cichlid who immediately wants to spar and the parrot can not fight back. One of my angels literally tormented my parrots all day long so he was removed. Mine are now in a tank with corys and columbian tetra.

They also like to be with their own if you want to just have a tank of them.

shalafi04
11-21-2009, 07:26 PM
yeah i have her in a 120gal. right now. I think I'm going to go today and get her a friend of the same species. And may move my royal pleco in with them. thank you all. :)

Red
11-21-2009, 07:36 PM
With the goldfish?

shalafi04
11-21-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah right now she is with the goldfish, there is only 3 of them, on the small side for goldies, but I guess I'll move them out. Eventhough they seem to get along fine *shrug*