PDA

View Full Version : RCS oddballs?

Sarkazmo
11-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Anyone else have some oddball shrimps from their RCS? Here's one of mine.

Sark

http://j4d7bw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pD7-vmxIKIPcC7Lo912UUYDIcvtzY2r1shktjOP57EWCvqXD0KnZRd 6dJRTz1r2wbS2qLyGLVmAgq0kN4E5srGmR1NAxjc4Ly/IMG_0672%20-%20Oddball%20female%20with%20eggs.JPG

korith
11-19-2009, 04:34 AM
I have several oddball ones. A few of them look completely brown, with a light brown stripe on the back. I been slowly removing them as I can.

Fishguy2727
11-19-2009, 04:48 AM
I got some of them in at work. I thought it was an oddball that came in with the amano shrimp. I like them, genetic variety is vital.

Jacko
11-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Very nice, I don't have any real oddballs in my shrimp, oddest one would be the solid crimson colored female.
If you ever find a few with desirable coloration that isn't red... you could line breed them and start a new color form of N. denticulata sinensis, like they did with the RCS and the yellows...

Sarkazmo
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I got her in my last batch from eBay. She's not the only one though, there's a male that's cloudy white like a Snowball or a Ghost that's about to kick it. He's very healthy though. Looks like I need a few more tanks for shrimps :) Good thing that the love of my life enjoys the shrimp and fish as much as I do. In fact she's behind me right now taking pics of her rearranged tank. :)

Sark

Algenco
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
the brown is the wild form, best to remove it from the gene pool

Sarkazmo
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
As you can see in the pic, she's berried, and actually pretty good size. Probably the largest RCS I've got. If I mover her to one of my other tanks she's likely to get eaten though, especially the Betta tanks. She MIGHT be ok in the community tank as it's VERY densely planted but the young won't have a chance I don't think.... sigh...

Sark

tetra
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
maybe this link could help you identfy the shrimp you have? Theres seems to be a lot of different species of shrimp on there

Algenco
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
As you can see in the pic, she's berried, and actually pretty good size. Probably the largest RCS I've got. If I mover her to one of my other tanks she's likely to get eaten though, especially the Betta tanks. She MIGHT be ok in the community tank as it's VERY densely planted but the young won't have a chance I don't think.... sigh...

Sark

you don't want her offspring, you'll end up with a tank full of dull brown shrimp.
you will have more berried females, nice red onesthumbs2:

Sarkazmo
11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I've got tons of berried females. In fact right now there's a ton of babies swimming around so they're doing well with the breeding thing.

Well the oddball's been pulled from the tank. I nearly uproated everything and lost her twice, from the net, at the water's surface. She's in the community tank now. I hope she survives.

Sark

William
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Take a look at black king kongs to see some other (expensive) RCS oddballs