PDA

View Full Version : I have a betta problem

Northernguy
11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I have had a betta for a little over a year and a half.
His colors are great but his swimming habits are concerning.
He lays around the bottom but comes up to eat with a normal appetite.
I beleive he is on his way out.It could be old age,not sure though.
Water changes and tank maintenence have been done regularly.

How long does it take a betta to grow large enough to sell in killer cups?
From fry to full grown?
Any ideas?

rich311k
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
From what I have read the ones in the cups are a year old or so. They live 2-3 years generally. I imagine yours is just getting old as you suspect.

Sharon
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Agreed......

Northernguy
11-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks!
Its my sons tank that I get to take care of.
He is going to be upset when Fireball passes.

Rich what was that in the red X's?

rich311k
11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Rich what was that in the red X's?

You lost me?

tori.lock
11-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Sounds like he's getting old, but that doesn't mean he's ready to die of old age. People slow down and get lazy waaaay before they tend to pass away. I've heard of bettas living 5-7 years. Unfortunately killer-cup bettas probably have horribly weak genetics and have a shorter life span, but you might get quite a bit more time out of him.

Sarkazmo
11-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Sancho was acting this way as well. I did a 50% water change and treated for a week with Melafix and Pimafix. He's now more aggressive and energetic than ever! Don't give up, they're hardy fish.

Sark

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Urgh... I didn't realize they were that old when you buy them. our first one, we've had 6mos, is HUGE and he came from Walmart where I bet they "sit" longer than PetCo/PetSmart where the others come from... They're such neat fish. I hope your guy perks up soon, but also appreciate the information learned here about how old to suspect my betta boys are.

rookie
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
so let me get this straight if you buy a betta from a cup in wal mart they only have like 2yrs before they could be on there way out? because i have had mine for like a yr and 3 months and they are starting to be lazy and slow. might i add they were not doing good when i first got them my girl rescued them.

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Actually, the way I read it, if they are already 1yo in the cup (and my guess is older at Walmart than at petshops), and their total lifespan is 2-3 years, then that would mean after you buy them, they might live 1-2 years.

rookie
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
wow, yea mine were fully grown and i did get them from walmart so i might be in the same boat NG

Northernguy
11-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I didn't get mine at Walmart!lol
Thanks for the info and kind words.
I'll do what i can for the poor guy.

Rich those redXs were just your dragons! lol

Neon
11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I have read somewhere that indian almond leaves are good for bettas either real leaves or extract from them :

"...a lot of betta enthusiasts often use Indian almond leaves and actually rave for its benefits. The main reason is that their antibacterial properties minimize the chances of bacterial infections, improve health, stimulate the natural environment of fish who hail from soft, acidic waters, stimulate breeding conditions and harden scales in which case as mentioned before does minimize skin diseases and pathogens resulting in bacterial infections that dwell on the epidermis of the fish......" see more http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193686

Sarkazmo
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I've got Indian Almond Leaves and they do seem to work well but it will tint the water.

Betta for sale start at about 3.5 months or so. So the ones in the cup are at least that old.

Sark

Northernguy
11-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere Northern Ontario.:19:
Toronto is an 8hr drive for me.lol
There is nowhere to find Indian Almond leaves here.
Even the Natives have never heard of them!:hmm3grin2orange:

I will be lucky to locate some tea tree oil to make my own melafix.I don't want to order any any because its below freezing at night and any packages left in the back of a truck over night will freeze.

CGY_Betta_Guy
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Northern Guy... maybe try this place for various betta supplies. I have never used them but have heard of others picking up things off there.
http://www.bettabreederscanada.com/betta-supplies

Northernguy
11-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the link!:22:

Sarkazmo
11-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I got my IAL from somewhere in Malaysia via eBay. It was like $7 to my mailbox. You do get mail up there, don't ya, NG? :P

Sark

Lab_Rat
11-20-2009, 02:26 AM
I just recently lost my old betta, had him since my first year of pharmacy school, so about 4.5 years. They can live a long time. A couple of weeks ago he started looking not so hot and was disinterested in food. He went downhill from there. I do attribute his death to old age. Good luck with yours NorthernGuy.

geminidragn
11-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Have you checked the heating? Sometimes the heat needs to be turned up or down from where you have it. Sometimes the guys like the water closer to 80 and others like the water closer to 75. I have one guy that will not swim around as much unless the water is around 72. I have to keep him in his own tank because the others like the water at 75 or higher or then they just "lay around". Just like their temperaments-- each fish is different.

iZinedane
11-25-2009, 09:40 AM
mines like that too :ssmile: explores sometimes though