PDA

View Full Version : Caridina Japonica...

SouthernGal0682
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
...AKA Amano shrimp. Are they nocturnal or just shy? I have only had them for about 30 hours and I had expected they would hide for a while, but I keep noticing them attempting to creep out from under the driftwood and then when they get about half way out, ducking back under. I've been anxiously waiting for them to make a full appearance and I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time (like I have ANYTHING else better to do) because they are only coming out at night.

cocoa_pleco
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
theyre just shy. They need more time to adjust to the tank and know they wont get eaten

SouthernGal0682
04-14-2007, 09:04 PM
gotcha...the tetras are REALLY curious about them so I can see how they might be a little imtimidated. They try to fight them off with their little feelers.

cocoa_pleco
04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
my ghost shrimp in my heavily planted 20g used to be really sissy and just hide under driftwood or cabomba. now, theyre allover

Willyleigh
04-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I have 4 Amano shrimp and for the first month I didn't see any of them regularly, I rearranged my plants though and after that they all came out, and I can always see at least 2 of them, give them time and they should come out for you.

SouthernGal0682
04-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Cool.

I have 1 big one that is starting to get a little brave and I see him sitting just outside of his hide out throughout the day. But my other 2 are a little smaller and I have only seen them once since I put them in the tank. I can already tell a difference though in the cleanliness of the areas where my big guy has been hanging out...I think i want to go get 3 more.

RobbieG
04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I used to keep some in one of my 30's - They were world class hide and seek players. I found that if I had about half a dozen I would be able to see one or two whenever I looked.

I kept the 10 gallon set up for when they moulted - it seemed like even my neons would try to eat them when they were exposed.