PDA

View Full Version : Gone for a Week?

tori.lock
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I've heard that it's okay to go some time without feeding fish, but I'll be gone for a week. I leave Friday morning and don't get back until the next Saturday afternoon. I want to try and get an automatic feeder, but I don't think I have the money for it right now. I still haven't gotten my replacement filter, so I'm going to run to the shop Thursday and pick up a small cheap on if they can get it. Do you think it will be alright if I do a big water change the night before I leave and another right when I get back? What about food? Is that too long to leave him without any?

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I've heard that fish can go up to a week w/o being fed, but I haven't tried it and I'm thinking that would apply to fish going into the week "fast" in optimal condition.

Is there a way someone could come feed him once 1/2 through the time you'll be gone?

Or could you take him with you?

robflanker
11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
It should be be fine. Make sure you feed before you leave (not too much).

If someone can come during the week, but the betta should be ok

tori.lock
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
There's no way I could take him, or anyone could come feed him. I live in a dorm and only have one key, and I think everyone I know is leaving too. I'll see if anyone is getting back early, or maybe if my RA is staying she could let herself in and feed him for me. Do you think a week is too risky to leave him without food? I'm getting really anxious about this. On thursday I'll look for a cheap automatic feeder, I think.

robflanker
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
RAs didnt stay at my school, I was one, the dorms close and we all leave.

Are you flying home or something? If not, then you can def take it with you

tori.lock
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Our dorms stay open for the holidays. I doubt she's staying, but she might know someone who is. And yes, I'm flying, hence not being able to take him.

sheamurai
11-19-2009, 01:10 AM
is there a reason one of those drop-in 5 day cubes wouldn't work? I know bettas like to top feed, but if he's hungry enough I'm sure he'd pick at it...

robflanker
11-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Those 5-day cubes are awful - they murky up the water and will just make an almighty mess.

Not worth it.

Ever

tori.lock
11-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I think it would only be worth it if it was that or loose my fish.

So as a final opinion... would he be fine for 8 days without food? Maybe if I got a feed cube and broke it up so it was smaller and wouldn't dirty the water as much? I wouldn't mind doing a big water change when I get back.

jaysee
11-19-2009, 04:23 AM
It takes a while to starve to death and a week is not a big deal.

korith
11-19-2009, 04:33 AM
I had a similar problem when I had just the betta in a tank. What I did was buy a cheap penn plax feeders from walmart, I think the cost was $12. I did have to modify it so it wouldn't drop too much food in. Basically just have to play with how many pellets the scoop can pick up.

tori.lock
11-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Alright, good to hear. I hate leaving him that long without food, but if he'll be okay there's not much I can do about it.

jaysee
11-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Alright, good to hear. I hate leaving him that long without food, but if he'll be okay there's not much I can do about it.

You could throw in a few ghost shrimp.

tori.lock
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
That's a really good idea, actually. I'll see if I can pick some up at the store when I go on Thursday.