PDA

View Full Version : Betta & Bristle Nose Pleco (compatible?)

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
If I wanted to put a bristle nose pleco in with betta fish, is that a compatible combination?

I'm having problem with algae on the betta tanks, especially one. They're not over stocked (10g w/ 3 bettas each).

If it's compatible, I wanted to put one bristle nose in each tank, and rotate him/her among the dividers. But, with as lazy as my betta boys are -- lounging about their plants and the gravel -- I didn't know if a bristle nose pleco is likely to latch on to one of them?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Northernguy
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't use a bn for that!
I think an oto would work better.
I also do think that the bettas may take a few rounds out of it.That is a small space.

I think the best thing to do would be roll up your sleeves.lol

smaug
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
They wont even know the other is there.

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 01:10 AM
I think the best thing to do would be roll up your sleeves.lol

Yep, I just did that! I'm thinking, possibly, some sunlight is hitting the tank. One gets it worse than the other. Will probably move the tanks... it's ridiculous the amount of time it took me to clean them of the algae this evening.

bluebluecow
11-18-2009, 06:14 AM
I have 3 b/n plecs in my 66l with my betta, and 2 in my 20G with my bettas, no problems at all

Liz

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks!

I want to try it but it's the small space (the 10g's are split 3 ways, so 3.3g per betta) is what concerns me. But URGH that **** algae. If you think it's a pain in the butt to scrub off glass, try it on those screen partitions. Oh, and on the blue gravel it is so NOT attractive. I soaked the top layer of gravel in hot H2O (same for the plants and partitions), but added that to another tank to reduce the gravel depth in the betta tanks. Maybe that will help (probably not though). They are back to looking beautiful this morning, but I'm sure I'll be scrubbing again.

I wonder if any of those algae controll liquid products work and are safe for bettas?

If so, that would help in particular w/ the gravel in the tank as i don't want to routinely scoop out and soak gravel...

Lab_Rat
11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
10g is too small for an adult bristlenose, even an Ancistrus claro (which are hard to find anyway).

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks. I'll just plan to scrub it good when it needs it and also will be moving them. Maybe they won't get as much algae in another location (but, urgh, tanks 5.5x their sizes are going where they are...).

Rue
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes - I was going to say the same thing...the fish will get along, but the tank is too small for a BN...

I have mine in my 25g...and I'd say the tank is too small as well...he'd have more room in at least a 30g...(or bigger of course)...

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Would bristle nose plecos be okay with Parrot and Rainbow cichlids? I'm thinking that's an okay match? There are 55g tanks going where the 10g's are and I'm thinking it's more the location than the tank... one 55 will have parrots and rainbows, and I'm thinking that would be okay for some bn plecos? Thanks!

Rue
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I think so. Just make sure the BN has lots of wood to hide in...

Deleted User
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks!!! Will do :) :) :)

tetra
11-19-2009, 03:33 AM
the bristle nose will be fine, His body is hard on the out side. He might get a little stressed if the bettas chase him but if you have something for him to hide in or some drift wood as they are nocturnal he should be all right.

All the same a 10 gallon is a little tight for a bristlenose, Mine seems to run out of space in my 33.