PDA

View Full Version : My 90 gallon tank journal!

Hailey
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
So I gave up with the broken 75 gallon tank, and were getting a brand new 90 gallon on Friday! $400 though...

We have the 100 lbs of 3M Colourquartz crystals, black to go in. I think I will start re-washing it now.

I ordered some plants from aquaticmagic on ebay and a couple from another guy
-Java Moss-$5.30 (other seller)
Narrow leaf crypt- $6.76 (other seller)
Another Semi Narow leaf crypt- $5.56, a bunch, 10-12 leaves.
Crypt wentii green-$5.07, 3 stalks
Anubias barteri nana- $3.52
Anubias-Broad leaf- $5.07
Crypt lucens- $5.44
Crypt balansae- $3.78, for 3
Co2 Tabs- $6.83- box of 12 I think, and I have no idea if i should have gotten them...
Root Monster Root tabs- $10.20, 12, they look good.

Cant wait till they get here.
What are your recommendations for these plants? How many WpG should I go for? I was thinking at least 1.5-2 WpG would be ok.
What other plants should I try to get?

For filtration we have a AC100, and a AC30 that will go on. Will that be enough? The tank is 48"x18.5"x? I'm not sure how tall it is.

As for lighting were not sure yet. We might do T5's.

Background will eventually be black, not painted on this time. We'll just buy one.

And we still need to get a heater. What size do we need for this? 200?

And thats it for now, Thanks!

rich311k
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
1-2 watts a gallon would be enough. Closer to two would be better as that is a deep tank. I would get two 200 watt heaters. That filtration should be adequate you may want to get another AC100. A big sword for a centerpeice would be nice in there.

MCHRKiller
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
I second what Rich has said on adding another AC110. I would definatly consider a 4*54watt HOT5 fixture for this tank just based on the height of it. You can minimize your algae growth in this low tech sort of setup by not running all 4 bulbs constantly. Run 2 bulbs for 2 hrs then have all 4 of them on for 4 hours and then run 2 bulbs for the last 2 hrs of the day. Fishneedit.com has some good HOT5 fixtures, unfortunatly their 4 bulb fixture has been out of stock for months and no clue when its coming back, you could purchase 2 of the 2*54watt fixtures and still be way under price for other systems...and your tank is definatly wide enough to handle the 2 fixtures.

Hailey
11-18-2009, 12:21 AM
I second what Rich has said on adding another AC110. I would definatly consider a 4*54watt HOT5 fixture for this tank just based on the height of it. You can minimize your algae growth in this low tech sort of setup by not running all 4 bulbs constantly. Run 2 bulbs for 2 hrs then have all 4 of them on for 4 hours and then run 2 bulbs for the last 2 hrs of the day. Fishneedit.com has some good HOT5 fixtures, unfortunatly their 4 bulb fixture has been out of stock for months and no clue when its coming back, you could purchase 2 of the 2*54watt fixtures and still be way under price for other systems...and your tank is definatly wide enough to handle the 2 fixtures.

Ha, I actually send them an email last night, asking if the had the 4 bulb fixture in yet, and if not, how long it would take to ship 2 of the 2 bulb fixtures up here. I think they look really nice, and a good price too. Im still waiting on the reply from them, but if it doesnt take too long, I might order from them, but I still have to tell my boyfriend about that too.

Now I have to do two heaters? Im not going to have enough plug ins! lol Could I get away with one 300w? Heaters are pricey around here!

And I do have a amazon sword plant in my 33 gal. Its not doing the best in there, so I think it'll be going in the new tank. Along with a couple other that need better lighting.

Northernguy
11-18-2009, 12:25 AM
That sounds like a nice tank!
I hope you get it all together soon!thumbs2:

Hailey
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks!

So were going to go pick it up tomorrow!

And I was wondering what heater I need. Would it be ok to just pick up a 300w one for now?

I'm also going to try to fiqure out how to rewash the 3M colourquartz again. It was still a bit oily in the other tank.

Also while we wait to get the T5 light set up, I think were going to get a double, 36" light fixture from home depot, just for now, but then we can use it on my 33 gal after, which badly needs a new light!

We dont have anything for the top though...so I dont know what we'll do about that.

domjd05
11-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks!

So were going to go pick it up tomorrow!

And I was wondering what heater I need. Would it be ok to just pick up a 300w one for now?

I'm also going to try to fiqure out how to rewash the 3M colourquartz again. It was still a bit oily in the other tank.

Also while we wait to get the T5 light set up, I think were going to get a double, 36" light fixture from home depot, just for now, but then we can use it on my 33 gal after, which badly needs a new light!

We dont have anything for the top though...so I dont know what we'll do about that.

I'm in the middle of building a canopy for my 125 right now, they are pretty easy to build and look awesome! I found it was much cheaper to have some glass cut and buy some hinges and make a DIY glass hood, almost $50 cheaper than buying the cheapest one I could find online.

Hailey
11-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Help! How do we quickly wash our sand? Its the Black, 3M colorquartz crystals and is very oily. I have a little bit in a bucket, and am filling it up, mixing, and dumping, but going no where, and its only a tiny ammount of sand!

Could we do the pillowcase idea?

Garrett
11-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Someone had a youtube video posted awhile ago, the way I washed my sand was putting about half a bag (I bought a 50lb. bag of play sand) in a 5 gal. bucket and hosed at it, dumping the water and keeping everything agitated. You do lose some sand in this process, but it gets all the fines and dust out. Normally about half an hour process.

Hailey
11-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Well 5 hours later and almost half of the sand is done. We rigged up putting fabric (cut in half pillowcase) down in our collander (it goes accross the sink, mesh like), and rinsing the sand like that. Works pretty well, its still going to be a little bit oily though I think. Getting lazy towards the end, lol. Man my back hurts. But it'll look good when I'm done!

Hailey
11-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Oh, I was wondering if there was anything else I should put in the AC110 to maybe take out the oily residue? I have no idea when it comes to other filter inserts.

Hailey
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Well boyfriend didnt get paid today for some reason! Im so mad. I guess we can hopefully pick it up tomorrow!

I just spend 3 more hours trying to finish washing the sand in time!!!

tetra
11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Well at least your ready. Sucks having to wait, I kinda wish i could put water in mine and now and put start transfering fish over.

Hailey
11-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Oh, why do you haave to wait?

And I think setting up a new fish tank is one of the best things ever! I love the feeling...mts...lol

red eyes
11-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Best way for me is to have a bin (like a 50 gallon tub) large enough to hold twice as much sand as you have and to use a high pressure hose into the sand stirring the debris into the water column and letting it all over flow, it' a one step process that you can generally leave to it's own accord.

Hailey
11-20-2009, 04:18 AM
In the summer, we did do that. run the hose in the bucket, but it really didnt do much!

Hailey
11-21-2009, 08:22 AM
setting it up right now! Looks huge!
and the 3M isnt bad, a little bit of oil.
oh, and we got one, double bulb light fixture, 80 total wats

Hailey
11-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Here are some pics of it this morning.
Fish seem to love it.
Its a little coudy, but I think its from the sand, and now the driftwood putting tannins into the water.

Could I put a couple zebra danios in there now?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwhHEShh5MI/AAAAAAAABjk/BCsnas_u83Y/s800/DSCF3751.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwhHIdmlCLI/AAAAAAAABjw/p_cMyL_AIzQ/s800/DSCF3753.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwhHGawRTEI/AAAAAAAABjs/8ZMb9XDB9SY/s800/DSCF3752.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwhHKyXh64I/AAAAAAAABj0/DMgutRRmBCc/s800/DSCF3755.JPG
The view from my desk.

Oh, and note the stool! lol

Also we gotta put the background on, and just waiting for my plants to come in the mail.

Oh, and I was going to out the AC30 on along with the new AC110, well theres no way. Its too small to go onto it. So we just put all the media in the new filter, along with the biomax from the 33 gal. So in all theres a new sponge, little old AC30 sponge, and biomax fro both old tanks.

Northernguy
11-21-2009, 11:01 PM
That tank is coming along real nice!
I'm looking forward to the plants! lol
I would add the danios if you have seeded media in the filter.What cycle that is there will die off without them.

Hailey
11-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Ok, thanks!
I have about 4 plants in there now, and it looks great with the black sand! Cant wait to get my others and get them to grow out!

Also eventually for this tank, I have about 4-6 German Blue rams!
My Bolivians will go in here too soon. I think their both males...I cant find any females here.

bushwhacker
11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
hailey you keep mentioning some sort of oily residue in your sand. its got me curious. there shouldnt be any type of oils in your sand.

Hailey
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Well its because I have the black, s-grade, 3M colorquratz crystals. Its ceramic coated sand. Very fine and smooth texture. I've read online that some other people with this black sand have had the same problem, and some havent. It depends on the bags you get I guess.

I did a lot of washing, and it really helped. My work payed off. Theres barely any in the tank anymore!

Hailey
11-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Here are the newest pics. I added a couple plants from my other tank for now, see how they do in there.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwiUxfGDZVI/AAAAAAAABk4/itHD8mX4fIo/s800/DSCF3758.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwiUzM_ol0I/AAAAAAAABk8/WYZ7tjCvfhA/s800/DSCF3759.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwiUv-qxL1I/AAAAAAAABkw/m4R1fF_U66s/s800/DSCF3757.JPG

Rue
11-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Looks good! Don't know if the convicts will leave them alone though.

And you really should get a cover on that outlet...

Hailey
11-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Lol, we put them somehwhere when we painted the room, and now we cant find them! Thanks!

And they all seem to be getting along great now. I must say these cons have have mannered up some.

tetra
11-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Well its because I have the black, s-grade, 3M colorquratz crystals. Its ceramic coated sand. Very fine and smooth texture.

Did u get that at a hardware store or a lfs store??? BTtw even the tank looks cloudy it looks great!!

Hailey
11-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Well we got it at Steels. Its sort of like a industrial hardware store I guess you could say. We had quite the time looking for it

Hailey
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Here is the tank as of today. We bought a $60 piece of driftwood yesterday! Well, thats it anyways on the driftwood. Omg, I just realized we spent about $92 on driftwood in the last week! Thats bad. Were so broke! Well Im mad at ourselves now, lol.

Anyways there two pieces in the tank now. The third peice will go into my 33 gal.

All the fish are doing well. The cons love moving the sand around. But I cant wait to get them out of there! lol. I really want a bunch of corys in there. I think their one of my fave fish!

My boyfriend set up the light fixture properly last night into the canopy we made. Theres enough room for one more double light fixture in it. Will that be enough?
We got some plexiglass and screwed it underneath the light, so its not directly over the water. The rest is still open.

We want to get another AC70 on there. Will that be enough? Hopefully it will be. My boyfriend doesnt get it, and thinks just the AC110 is enough. Were spending all his money too! lol

Paypal is almost done transferring my money to the ebay sellers, so hopefully my plants, co2 tabs, and root monster tabs will be here soon!

Oh, and heres the pic,
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SwsFylnk5qI/AAAAAAAABl8/9nVfbkDqlLA/s800/DSCF3768.JPG

The cloudiness is getting better! Hopefully a week and its cleared up!

rich311k
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Looks like a nice start! Good luck with the tank.

Hailey
11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Looks like a nice start! Good luck with the tank.

Thank you rich!

Hailey
12-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I got most of my plants today!

I've been working on the tank all day. I caught the convicts, the female is the worst, and they are now going back into their old tank!

Did a bit of a water change in the 90 gallon, as the tannis are making the water greenish. I then added the anubias broad leaf. I tied it to a rock first though. Then the crypt wendtii green, crypt lucens, crypt balansae, and the narrow leaf phillipine java ferns.

They sent all the crypts with no leaves, as due to crypt rot. So I cant wait till grow!

I added the other lone zebra danio in, and now want to add more of my other fish in. I want the 4 corys in there, but I'm scared, lol. I really would hate if any died, i've had them for a while now, but cant wait for them to get in that sand!

Do you think my bolivians can go in now?

Test just taken
ph- 7.2
ammonia- >0.6
Ni- 0.1
na- >5
gh- 50?

tetra
12-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Cant wait to see pics

Btw are sure its not algae, i thought tannings usualy made the water go yellish

Hailey
12-01-2009, 02:41 AM
well, ya its a greenish yellow brown, lol. And I know the wood was leeching a lot.

Hailey
12-01-2009, 03:50 AM
I am now putting the corys into the tank! I really hope its ok for them. I love them a lot, lol.

rich311k
12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
The tank is not cycled do not put any more fish in there.

Hailey
12-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Its not? It should be I used all dirty media, even extra in there...

rich311k
12-01-2009, 04:08 AM
You have ammonia and nitrites. It is not cycled. If you used seeded media it should cycle quickly but it is not cycled now.

Hailey
12-01-2009, 04:17 AM
oh crap!
Well ok, thanks

Hailey
12-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Here are some pics. Now it looks bad cause most of them are crypts, and have no leaves right now, lol.

another fern is comming, anubias nana, and java moss.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SxSzWheYsrI/AAAAAAAABoQ/9ALrsy7VcYI/s800/DSCF3799.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SxSzbkV4JzI/AAAAAAAABoY/93sJlVLM_O4/s800/DSCF3801.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SxSzjFfIT1I/AAAAAAAABoc/6Yca-5ihRCI/s800/DSCF3802.JPG

Hailey
12-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Got my anubias nana today in the mail, and I got two! I thought I was only getting one. Tied one to a rock, and the other is sitting in the driftwood for now.

The other plants are doing well. Some have a few leaves already.

KingFisher
12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Hailey, the tank is looking great. You are off to a great start with the plants. I like the black substrate and the wood. thumbs2:

Hailey
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Hailey, the tank is looking great. You are off to a great start with the plants. I like the black substrate and the wood. thumbs2:
Wel thank you!

So yesterday we picked up one more double light fixture, but this time I got the "Plant and Aquarium" lights they had there. They are pink, so hopefully it works out in my tank. We have from the back, pink, white, pink, white.

Hailey
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Hello!
So I havent been on here much during the holidays, but now that x-mas is over, I can now spen on the tank!lol
Anyways I have a terrible algae problem! It everywhere, even growing like carpet on the sand. I think were just going to try to get a couple ottos for now, and hopefully they survive!

Oh, I put my male female platy pair in the tank, their doing well, they were testers, lol. Sounds bad doesnt it? Well I want to get my bolivian ram in there, and ottos and corys.

I think were going to pick up another AC70 for it. Theres one on kijiji for $20 so hopefully we can pick it up.

Oh, and maybe its my lighting causing my algae problem, I have 2 pink grow lights on it, maybe I should go down to one? I have anubias', crypts, and ferns in here for now, so they should do fine.

I am doing a big w/c right now, and I will get pics up after its done.

I might be picking up some otos today hopefully!

Northernguy
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I hate that carpet algae!lol
Its a pain in the butt!
Is your tank getting any direct sunlight?

The tank looks amazing the pics!:22:

Hailey
12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
No sunlight at all! Well theres a window accross from it, but it has a double layered curtain on it and is closed all the time.

And thanks!

Chrisinator
12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I would move the driftwood... about 6 inches to the right. See how that looks. Centered just doesn't look natural, lol.

Hailey
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh I know! I agree with that, and I think it has moved since that last pic was taken.
The boyfriend doesnt get it! lol
I moved it over as much as possible due to the plants.

Edit: Yes I have moved it over quite a bit! I will take a new pic right away as soon as the tank fills up. The plants have grown in a bit more, and the fake "stump" thing is taken out. It is my unidentified loaches house, and he is no longer in this tank, as I want corys in here soon.

Thanks!

little hawaii
12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes one 300w. heater is plenty. you don't need two. I f it quits your fish would be fine at room temp for days. $ of my 7 tanks have no heater at all. Larger powerheads produce enough heat to keep them at 77.

Hailey
12-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Ya, we have one 300W heater going and its more than enough, even during winter.

Here are some pics just taken
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SzvdLEz_BmI/AAAAAAAABqc/fpMuR4uLTIY/s800/DSCF3828.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SzvdRNLlo7I/AAAAAAAABqo/W-wegvBIQD0/s800/DSCF3832.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SzvdTN3R_KI/AAAAAAAABqs/Jv_zpVlCzW8/s800/DSCF3835.JPG

Hailey
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
UPDATE:

So the algae isnt getting any better, but well we havent gotten any otos to try and help yet, lol. Im so not into the algae thing, so I have no idea what kind it is and what will help it. I seems like just "normal" stuff though.

Plants:
3 stalks of Crypt balansae-2 are doing really well, the other is still a stump pretty much. The tallest leaf is about 7 inches now.
5 Crypt wendtii green- Doing well about 4 inches now.
7 Crypt lucens- Comming along nicely, about 2 inches.
2 Anubias nana- Doing really good, new leaves are comming up, although, of course, covered in algae.
1 Anubias "broad leaf"-Same as the nana, but they actually all look the same, its not any bigger yet.
Bunch of Ludwiga, inknown- I moved this over from my 33 gal, wasnt getting enough light. Doing really well as a background plant. I just keep cutting and planting if they get to big and tower over the others, but also covered in algae.
Some sort of Val?- Moved some over from the 33 gal and its doing well, lots of runners already.
Narrow leaf Java fern-Big bunch, doing good, some on my driftwood.

Fish:
Male and female platy
Male and female Long finned zebra danio, plus another zebra danio
One(for now) long finned zebra danio fry, others will be moved in once we get something for over the intake tube on the AC110. Two others got sucked up.
And one Blue gourami.

Hopefully we will be getting 2 otos tomorrow. I'll get two for now, and if they do well, I'll get another two.
Going to be moving my last Bolivian ram in here soonish
Also might move my 5 peppered corys over, or just get other corys for in here, not sure yet.

I think the lighting has to do with the algae. I think we will take one of the pink bulbs out and put in another daylight bulb.
We want to make moonlights for it soon too, but not sure how to.

Thats it for now. I just hope I can get it where I want it soon!

Lab_Rat
01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Looks good Hailey! I love that driftwood.

What lighting are you running on it (the wattage and K rating)? What is your CO2 source? Algae is a result of an imbalance among light, nutrients, and CO2. Where are your nitrates running?

Nerite snails are awesome algae eaters and they don't reproduce in fw so you don't have to worry about them taking over a tank. I have olive nerites in most of my tanks.

EmmanuelJB
01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Sounds nice! I can't wait to see pictures! Hint Hint!

Hailey
01-03-2010, 05:59 AM
lol, well sadly the pics dont look very different from the ones posted a few days earlier.

And as for lighting its DIY, 2 double shop light fixtures, T12's. The bulbs are each 40 watts, which equals to 160watts, which is 1.7WpG.
The k raiting on the two white bulbs are 6500k, daylights, by GE.

The other two pink ones are from home depot too, and are for plants and aquarium use. We thought we would try them out. Their K rating is only 5000k I believe.

As for Nitrates the are less than 5, but no quite 0 yet. I will actually do another test tonight and post it. That was about a week or two ago, Im bad with doing the tests!

Co2 is nothing for now. But I did get some co2 tablets. I added one here and there a couple times, but that was it. I probably shouldnt even be using them...

And I've actually never heard of those snails, but I do know they arent around here. Selection is horrible around here. Id probably have to order them off the internet if I had too.

Lab_Rat
01-03-2010, 11:31 AM
You're going to want higher nitrates for your plants. I try to keep my planted tanks at 10ppm nitrates. This means increasing bioload or dosing nitrogen. That could be part of your algae problem. Also, lack of CO2 could be adding to the algae issue.

Hailey
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Really? I thought I wanted 0 Nitrates. Man I've forgeten all the cycling stuff in the last few years.

Well today we are going into town and picking up a few otos! Theres nothing better than picking up new fish!
A Ac110 sponge cause the one in there is black from the sands oil when first set up. And nylons, so we can get at least half of the zebra danio fry in here. Hopefully they will grow then!!! Man they've got to be like 6 months old now, but their still pretty small.

Lab_Rat
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Plants will use up the nitrates, often heavily planted tanks need nitrates dosed because the nitrates run at 0ppm.

MCHRKiller
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Adding more plants also will help balance the tank, I dont really get into the whole Amano concept of planted tanks...but one thing I have found to be true is that if you load the tank with plants initially it will have less problems along the way to maturity than adding some here and there. Hard for most of us to do, with cost and availability...but sadly it works.

Another thing that may help as shop light reflectors arnt really the best ever...lining the shoplight with aluminum foil with the shiny side facing the bulbs will help to put more light into your tank. Still yet your off to a very good start Hailey :22:

annageckos
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Very nice tank. Wanna trade? I got a old 90 with a melted center brace.:14: For the algae I have found cutting the light some. Even leaving it off for a day here and there works. It never hurt my plants either. I have also found that ghost shrimp eat some, at least the ones I have do. Also you may want to find out what kind you are dealing with. Diatom and blue green algea are not algeas. Both will blanket the sand. BGA is a bacteria, it is kind of slimy. Diatoms normally go away by itself. It feeds of the silica in the sand. Once that is gone so is the brown algea(diatom). There are other algeas too that will blanket everything but I find these to be most common.

Hailey
01-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Alright, well I have a few more plants I can put into here for now, maybe that will help a bit.

And I heard that using tin foil didnt really actually help, well I read it somewhere. Any other opinions on this? I might do it then...

And I think I will keep my tank...lol. Brand new for $400, its really nice though, and the best deal on anything new here. Also good call on cutting down the lights a bit, I'll try to unplug one for part of the day.

So we just got back from town, to 2 otos, Im accumulating them in now.

Also got the nylons, black, so I guess we will try to get them on there in a bit, and move some zebra babies over in a bit too.

We also picked up a bubble stick and some extra tubing, we'll add it in maybe later on too. Get some more water movement in there.

Oh, and the AC110 sponge. $8.00 for it here, is that right? it just seems like a lot ofr a spone ya know!? lol

Hailey
01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
The otos have been in for a few hours now and they seem to be doing great. They are zipping all over the place. They actually look very healthy, so fingers crossed, they make it!

I added 15 long finned zebra danio fry to the tank too, but had to remove the partents, and the other. I saw the mother eat one right away, and the other, tried to but I actually scooped her up right then. He got spit out.

So they seem to be loving it too. I'll see how they do in the next week, and then add the rest. I'll have a huge school of them in there, and I cant wait for them to grow out.

I recieved my narrow chain sword today in the mail, but since we had lost our mail key for over a week, it doesnt look very good. I took pics and I'll see what the sellers say. About half of it is brown.

Hailey
01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
So all my new additions made the night! The otos are zipping around and it looks like their loving it. I hope the week goes well for them, then I need to get a couple more. I was really surprised at how cheap they were at the pet store, they only came to $5.50 for two! I've never gotten them that cheap before. Trust me, its a miracle up here! lol. The best thing about these two pet stores we have here are the 2 for 1 fish everyday.

I think I will put in the new sponge todya, and add a couple extra plants. Maybe a bit of a water change too, the waste from the fish is crazy, I think its all from the gourami too.

Oh, and we found a used AC70 on kijiji for $20, so hopefully my boyfriend will be picking it up today. Add that to the tank too, and add the bubble stick too.

Hailey
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Here is a video of my new otos, with some of the zebra danioo fry in there too.
Is this normal behavior? I think so, but I dont know, lol.
Is it mating behavior? I just thought of that. That would be nice!

Video is here...http://myfishytales.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-otos_04.html

Hailey
01-05-2010, 05:42 AM
I just did tests on my 33 gal and 90 gal, cause I was wanting to add my corys over from the 33gal, I did get the sand for them...

90gal
NI- 0.1
NA- 5ppm
Ammonia- 0.6
pH- 7.2

33gal
NI- >.1
Na- 10ppm
Ammonia- 0.6
pH- 7.2

So what do you guys think? I know the ammonia is bad, but I dont know, that seems to just be how it is.
Im confused. I wish I could just learn everything!

Hailey
01-05-2010, 06:03 AM
oh, ignore the ppm after the ammonia-I dont know what im doing, the 0.6 is just from the chart

little hawaii
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM
If you plan on useing the co2, you should increase the light or they will not be able to use the extra carbon and you will probably get a nasty algae out break. When you get enough lite on plants with co2. you will actually be able to see all the litle oxygen bubbles comeing off your plants.

Hailey
01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I dont think i could afford co2

Well the otos are sure doing their jobs! I noticed all the crypt lucens in the front are completly clean. Most of the narrow leaf java fern is too! I love these little guys. I went to get more today, but found none in three towns!

I did pick up 6 red cherry shrimp though. They went into my 10 gallon, and the long finned zebra danio fry from that tank went into the 90 gal. The shrimp are pretty young, so i cant sex them yet. I did get an extra little shrimpette in the bag too! Hes so cute. I hope mine breed.

The danio fry look really good in the 90 gal. There must be over 50 of them in there, and their spread all throughout the tank.

Hailey
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
A few days ago I added my 5 peppered corys to the tank, and for the first while though, they just hid in theri new hom, underthe driftwood. Anyways last night though they were all out, playing around.

My bunch of zebra danio fry are doing great too, they are growing now.

And although my two otos are doing a great job on the algae clean up, I can tell they need another couple in there to hold it down.

I will get updated pics up here soon!

Hailey
01-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Well I added 2 Kribnesis yesterday, male and female. They survived their first night. Even their colours were bright as ever last night. I didnt know how beautiful they were! The males fins glow orange!

Shes gotten a pretty red belly, but I think its going away a bit now after the move. But hopefully they will breed soon!
If anyones got tips for this, let me know!

Other than that the corys are doing very well. In the evening they come out and play and play. Its really fun to watch.
And the danio fry are growing bigger everyday. I tried to count last night and got to about 43-so I would say there are at least 50 in there, if not more.

Heres a link to my other post on the kribs, with the pics of them
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=690504#post690504

Hailey
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Well I took down my 33 gal and moved everyone into the 90. The seals were starting to worry me on the 33 gal, so I might reseal this spring.

I have some of the krib fry in the 10 gal shrimp tank. But I think I am going to set up my 25 gallon tank for them to grow out it. I think I might put my shrimp in there too, due to my snail infestation.

Other than that nothing much new, still having some probs with algae, and still needing to sell my danio fry. Then I can do something fun with the tank. I'm still thinking of GBRs.

tanks4thememories
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
We have the 100 lbs of 3M Colourquartz crystals, black to go in. I think I will start re-washing it now.

Congratz!!

Wow where did you find the quartz!?!? That was my 1st choice instead of pool filter sand but I could not find anyone local who carried it.

Hailey
03-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I got it from a company called Steels. Maybe look it up and see if they are in your area. I was lucky I found it!

tanks4thememories
03-09-2010, 03:09 AM
I got it from a company called Steels. Maybe look it up and see if they are in your area. I was lucky I found it!

Yeah awesome find!! Your rig looks great!!

Hailey
03-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll put some more recent photos up.
Its not near what I want it to be yet, but I dont know how to get it to what I want! lol

Hailey
03-20-2010, 06:22 AM
So my java moss finally got here alive this time, I will never use that seller again on ebay, but anyways I pretty much didnt know what to do with it, I tied some to rocks here and there, and a bit in the gravel in the shrimp tank. Oh and they did give me another free moss, the only thing is I dont know what it is, but its tied to some wood and looks great.

My indian almond leaves came in today too, they are huge, I didnt expect them to be so big.

And my cherry shrimp will be delivered tomorrow, 6 new ones, hopefully theres a female in there!

Set up a 25 gal grow out tank for my krib fry, there are now 9 in there, 3 or 4 so still in the 90 gal, and they will be staying in there, but the grow out seems to be working nicely!

The 90 gal is well, looking better as the plants grow in, and I have yet to get some batteries and get new pics.

Hailey
03-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Pictures...finally!

Here are a few shots just taken.

Note the fork with cucumber for the otos, they just started to find out the cucumbers are food. And the 3 Indian almond leaves in the bottom left corner. And the algae wall in the back. It is getting better...

Plants are coming in nicely, I just wish it was faster. I should do some trimming and replanting, etc-but I hate getting in there, and still not being able to reach the bottom. I need to get some big, nice tools.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6bcsYsZFJI/AAAAAAAAB6s/3F8wLCTykBE/s800/DSCF4126.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6bcuEX2D5I/AAAAAAAAB6w/VZgUMaNyDIw/s800/DSCF4128.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6bcv0NZJGI/AAAAAAAAB60/9vzrKYlfiRQ/s800/DSCF4129.JPG

Oh and any suggestions are appreciated! The tank isnt how I want it to look like yet, but Im getting stuck on what to do. Suggestions on plants for in there would be great now too, since I have a great supplier from Vancouver now, with great prices!

Hailey
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I think I need more rocks. Hopefully that will help out the look of the tank. I think I will try to go outside in a bit and look for some. The thing is I worry about the kind of rock I put in there. I try to choose just normal, rock, but then sometimes I notice a bit of shine in some and it freaks me out that it will ruin the tank. lol.

I think I will get in there with some scissors too. cut back a few plants and take off dying ones. Maybe replant a little too. I just wish I could reach the bottom though!

hockeyhead019
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
you can't reach the bottom? hmmm that might be a slight problem haha... but i think a couple of taller plants would look great to set a foreground and background of the tank (put the tall in the back and the short up front)

but your tank looks awesome way to go with it!

Hailey
03-23-2010, 04:13 AM
you can't reach the bottom? hmmm that might be a slight problem haha... but i think a couple of taller plants would look great to set a foreground and background of the tank (put the tall in the back and the short up front)

but your tank looks awesome way to go with it!

I agree! I did try for that at once, but guess I kinda forgot about getting the big tall plants, or well at least some of the plants I just have to wait for them to grow in more. Theres a amazon sword in there that should get pretty big at the back, but right now its tiny. It came with no leaves.

Hailey
07-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Wow, so much has changed since my last posts! haha that was quite a few years ago now :) anyways the tank is still up and running, it looks so much better now then it did back then. I will deff post some pics for you guys soon to see the difference.
I still have some of the original fish :) and a lot of new ones.
Jeez two or was it three days ago now I had to empty the water out if it and set up a temp tank while we finished putting in new flooring in here. It was quite the job but it went seamless! Everyone is back home and doing better than ever.
This tank has seen a lot now, me having moved away for a year and a half, being moved for new flooring, and well just me growing up haha.
I will post soon :)

Hailey
07-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Here is my tank as of today, and a couple cory shots :)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-619469On7V8/UAOn0OCAfKI/AAAAAAAACDc/reHb9sC1zMs/s640/IMG_1321.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vsTp8rtotM0/UAOm0o_U8vI/AAAAAAAACDU/sKgmo1jYshc/s512/IMG_1331.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Orna6foErto/UAOocgEf8FI/AAAAAAAACD0/ir9wdpwdXdI/s512/IMG_1327.JPG

Hailey
07-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Did some pruning last night and cut the anubias into a couple pieces and trimmed off some of the yellower and damaged leaves. First time I have worked on them. I also just left one floating for now and gonna see how it does. I also did a much needed filter cleaning.
I am hoping to get my corys to breed! they have been showing some signs i think, I hope...
Here is a pic from today after a feeding of bloodworms.

I went to the pet store the other day and my great new fish guy got in some amazing new corys! I cant stop thining about them, I think they were bandits. I was wondering if I could pick up 6 or more tomorrow for the tank??? what do you think?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GA7q0h79py8/UAd7IwgeO4I/AAAAAAAACEE/1zpUSF1YKX8/s640/IMG_1344.JPG