PDA

View Full Version : Oranda Fantail Mix got stuck in filter...

keesh5
11-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi

I have a 32 Gallon (120 liter) 3ft long fish tank with 5 baby goldfish in there. if any get too big they will go in the pond.

I actually upgraded the tank yesterday from a 10 gallon (with just a black moor and a fantial) to a 32 gallon. I bought 3 additional fish as well (making it 5). I have a dolphin HOB filter rated for 211gl/hr on the tank that was swopped over from the smaller tank. All gravel, plants, water, deco etc was swopped over too.

Anyway all the fish are happy as anything (all tiny 1inch/3cm babies) except for the oranda mix who got stuck in the filter. I saved him twice and eventually found the connection that would stop that from happening (the pipe with the slits in the side). He seemed weak when i put him in but after being stuck in the filter he seems super weak and occasionally floats about or just lies on the bottom.

Any advice on how to save him as he's super pretty! Tried feeding him by hand but he wouldn't eat. The others in true goldfish fashion will eat anything you put in there.

Deleted User
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I hope he will be okay. We love goldfish at my house, too. However, usually if a fish is weak enough to be sucked in by a filter, it is not long for the world :scry:

keesh5
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
sigh.... I hope somehow he makes it. I really like my goldies

Deleted User
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I understand. I hope he will be okay, too.

keesh5
11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I think he's on his way out :scry: :scry:

Deleted User
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I am sorry! I think any of us who've had fish for more than a tiny bit of time know how you are feeling. It's no fun at all :scry:

keesh5
11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
oh well just found him completely dead. His body looked a bit deformed could that be from the filter?

Deleted User
11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
It might be that, or just how he looks now that he's gone if you mean he looks a different shape now than when he was alive. I think some fancy goldfish have internal problems w/ their intestines, etc., due to their body shape. I'm sorry he didn't make it.

cer
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Just since goldfish have long flowing fins I would put some sponge around the filter. Thats what I usually do. Sorry about your fish.

keesh5
11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
i found the attachment for the filter that basically is closed at the end and with slits around it that way they cant get sucked in.... but basically I walked away from the tank to look for it and when i came back he was stuck head first in the filter :(

robflanker
11-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Fish only get stuck in the filter when they are dead or dying. Its because they are too weak to swim away from it.

If you find a fish stuck in the filter, your problem is with the fish, not the filter.

keesh5
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I am sure you are right rogflanker, as he was a new addition he was probably not a happy camper from the LFS. Anyway living in South Africa unfortunately more often then not the pet stores abuse the goldies and you land up with either just sick or very sick ones that need to be treated; sad but true. Even the more expensive LFS around the corner from me which I visited yesterday had many a dead or dying fish in their tanks. And well unless I chose not to own fish at all I just have to chose the healthiest from the over crowed horrible tanks they are in.

robflanker
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah some LFS don't take care of their fish well and they are on their way out before you even get them.

Finding a good LFS is priceless.

Sorry for your loss and better luck going forward!

keesh5
11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
thanks I think I need it here :D

I am animal crazy and cant stand losing something although I am pragmatic about it it still sucls