PDA

View Full Version : Oranda Goldfish

Goldfish Keeper
04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
This is my first posting,
I have a tank with one Oranda Goldfish and lately i have been noticing that he has been floating near the top either on his side or upside down. I feed him flake goldfish food. Is he slowly dying? Or is this normal behavior? Oh i've had him for about a month and a half.

Drumachine09
04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
This is my first posting,
I have a tank with one Oranda Goldfish and lately i have been noticing that he has been floating near the top either on his side or upside down. I feed him flake goldfish food. Is he slowly dying? Or is this normal behavior? Oh i've had him for about a month and a half.

He probobly has swim bladder disease. Dont feed him for a while.

Lady Hobbs
04-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I would venture you did not cycle your tank and your fish has ammonia poisoning. Have you got a test kit? I would do a large water change right away. Swimming and hanging near the top is an indiction of being oxygen deprived. I don't know what size tank you have but these goldfish get large so I hope you have him in a larger tank than a 10 gallon?

After doing a water change, see if you can get your fish to eat some peas. It does sound like swim bladder.

Rue
04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Once they have swim bladder disease...they rarely recover from it...

...stop feeding floating foods...switch to sinking pellets...or if you have to, wet the flakes before you feed them so they sink to the bottom...gulping air while eating can also lead to swim bladder issues...

Fishguy2727
04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Water quality needs to be superb if it has any chance of surviving. Sounds like swim bladder brought on by the air from the floating flakes.

J5589
04-24-2007, 12:59 AM
What tank size and what is your levels? Do you know what type of goldfish it is?

jeffs99dime
04-24-2007, 01:06 AM
What tank size and what is your levels? Do you know what type of goldfish it is?

it's an Oranda goldfish- as the title suggests.lol
--i'm sorry, i couldn't resist. take any licks at me that you want. lol

J5589
04-24-2007, 01:17 AM
it's an Oranda goldfish- as the title suggests.lol
--i'm sorry, i couldn't resist. take any licks at me that you want. lol

Yeah. I need some sleep.

jeffs99dime
04-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah. I need some sleep.

lol. me too

troy
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Try giving it medicine for swim-bladder disease.

Incredulous_Ed
06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
don't feed any food for a week other than a smashed pea. That should clear out his system. If it is ammonia poisoning or both, carry out water changes on a daily basis.