PDA

View Full Version : Piranah Forum kinda Quiet!!!!

ljarpin
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Well i thought the Piranha section was kinda dead so i figured id up my post and bring it back!

My 6 RBP are doing good and growing quick! I have mostly been feeding them frozen shrimp out of your local grocers freezer, and occasionally i give them some live meat! My plants seem to be surviving, well one is thriving the other is surviving...LOL

Got a huge algae problem though....Gonna try to ad some Phos to the filter maybe help get rid of some the left overs from the raw meat....and maybe with some chemicals and some help from a airstone maybe i can improve the water conditions! 6 piranhas is a lot of waste though! gonna start testing my wate parameters, i know i know. im new to aquariums so yes im finally gonna start, but what kinda if number should i be looking for??? whats good?? whats bad??

How Would most people consider snails???? to be a problem or an exceptable decoration/memeber of the tank??????????????????????

Demjor19
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
How about you just up your waterchanges...I personally hate chemicals. Nice to hear your P's are doing good though!

Northernguy
11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree with more water changes.:22:
Try vacuuming out the food left overs.When I fed Oscars live all the time I had to vacuum out the debris every couple of days!It was the only way to keep my perameters in check!
Have you test the tank for ammonia and nitrite levels lately?
Where are the pics?:19:

ljarpin
11-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Simple enough! I appreciate the advice! Here are some pics from today, I got home and one of my fish had a huge bite out of the top of his head, i let the pics show ya, but not sure what to do! Let me know what ya think!
Ohh yeah, I don't have a test kit yet but, I'm about to buy one real soon and start doing just that! What would you recommend?

deathtroll
11-19-2009, 01:22 AM
for the test kit the API liquid test kit highly recomended it has everything you need to test the tank and is more accurate than the strips

for the one that has the bite wound I would do daily water changes to try to keep any type of infection from setting in and it should heal on it's own

what size tank do you have them in?

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Oh my! That is some bite alright. I thought you meant a nip but he's got a whole chunk missing. Others may start biting at it now too.

Northernguy
11-19-2009, 02:15 AM
I agree with that Hobbs!
If you have another then you should move.
Daily water changes to help it heal,if thats possible.
Some Melafix wouldn't hurt either.
You should double up on water changes on yourt main tank until you can test for ammonia,nitrites and nitrates.

Demjor19
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I would bump up the water changes/temp and add some salt to help stave off infection. P's seem to handle salt better than meds in my experience.

Does the injured fish act injured or disabled in any way? If he is acting normal then he should be ok (when a fish acts skittish or injured they will become a target)...just make sure everyone else stays fed and keep that water pristine!

ljarpin
11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I moved him into one of those hatchery tanks inside the same tank! Movement is restricted but the other cant get to him. He doesn't act weird at all.
ill try some salt to help heal!

annageckos
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
When I have piranah I came home after the weekend and one of my p's had taken a bite out of one of the other p's. A perfect half circle. Upped water changes but nothing else and the fish healed fine, none of the other p's ever bothered it at all. There may be a problem reinterducing that fish back into you tank. In my experiance adding new fish into an astablished tank can be tricky sometimes. And after being seperated you other piranah will see him as a "new" fish. Good luck, great fish, I miss mine.

ljarpin
12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
The Piranha has made a full reocvery and is back in with the group.
Now more problems, I started teset water parameters and treating accordingly and the water is clear and the algae is disappearing!
Thanks for everyones advice!

bassman
12-18-2009, 08:37 AM
piranha forum kinda dead? well Ive got some questions. Ive have kept aquariums for 10 years now some im pretty experienced, but new to the online and forum world of keeping fish. i have only seen piranhas for sale once and it was at petco =/ where do you recommend would be the most reputable store (online or store) to buy them. i want to get 3 baby or young piranhas. looking for best quality and best priced. thanks

ljarpin
12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I've never bought online, The Country I'm currently living in has no laws against them and sales them at every pet store. Have you tried the local pet shop for Piranhas or the availability/legality of keep them. I would start There, mostly cause I don't think mailing fish is practical or reasonable.....but then again i would know cause I've never tried! Good luck!

jay2487
12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I've never bought online, The Country I'm currently living in has no laws against them and sales them at every pet store. Have you tried the local pet shop for Piranhas or the availability/legality of keep them. I would start There, mostly cause I don't think mailing fish is practical or reasonable.....but then again i would know cause I've never tried! Good luck!

Actually it's quite practical and is done all the time. I'm pretty sure I saw some on a link I saw on here. aquariumfish.net/catalogs something like that

VoidParadigm
12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Your location or country is what depends on where you can buy fish from. Some online stores don't ship outside their own bordors! You could see if the store you saw them at before would order them for you.

Personally, the only time I've seen piranhas in any Canadian province it was just at dinghy little mall petstores. I've never seen them from reputable dealers. :scry:

SamTHorn
04-19-2010, 07:00 PM
How long do Piranhas live in a tank?

Thanks in advance.

~Sam